Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > My BOB. What should I fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #61
suasponte2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

suasponte2 is on a distinguished road

I agree...upgrade to a .22 LR and add gauze, benzoin tincture, medical tape and gauze bandages. Also, get a small bottle (preferably an eyedropper) to hold bleach to sanitize water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #62
bluewolf

bluewolf is on a distinguished road

So first you have to think about where you live, generally, hot, cold, humid. How much you weigh, how fit you are, 55lbs is too much weight to be carrying. Fill the camelback and water bottle and lose 6 of those water bottles. 1 pack of cards will do.
if your carrying 3 knives already, you don't need another in your bag.lose the hoodie string , stick with the paracord. A map of the USA is a bit vague, Get a topographical map of your immediate are a(photocopy at the local library for about a buck) and trace your route to your bug out location. Any rivers or major obsticals? Think what you will need to get there. You don't need that many ways to start a fire, it's good to know how, but if you got a bic or two, and some hand sanitizer, your set. Clothes are needed, at the very least a spare pair of socks.Lose a poncho too.1 pen ,1 pencil. you don't need the shower curtain if you got 2(!) tarps, unless its special too you.
Photocopies of family documents, birth certificates etc.
hope this helps, just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #63
sidewinder

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

sidewinder is on a distinguished road

So far you seam to have a good start. I wont repeat what's already been suggested if possible.
1-I would minimize the canned goods for dried food or high calorie survival bars. Although the cans don't weigh much, the water content of the food they do have adds up.
2- Pack your FAK(first aid kit) together in a separate bag or pouch and have it in an easily accessible area in or on your pack.
3-Add some safety pins and a small sewing kit(a few needles and small spool of thread).
4-Baby wipes, good for your hands or elsewhere.
5-Extra Boot laces.
6-A brightly colored shirt, can serve as an extra layer of insulation or as a rescue signal/ flag.
7-Leather gloves.

Keep up the good work.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #64
JohnGalt

JohnGalt is on a distinguished road

All great suggestions, I might add that I segregate my stuff into separate drawstring bags, medical, firestarting, water purification,personal hygiene, clothes, to eliminate the need to pack and repack the whole kit. Also consider vacumn (foodsaver) packing to waterproof and compact anything that is compressible, or that might leak and contaminate the remainder of the contents, think about having to cross a river or stream and then wanting to get into dry socks and undies, also if you carry canned food make sure you have a good can opener. I also carry face camoflage paint, hat, sunscreen, bug repellent
Best
John Galt

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #65
ICIt2

ICIt2 is on a distinguished road

Add some duct tape to it, bub.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #66
zracer7
Prepper Padawan

Liked 304 Times on 156 Posts

zracer7 is on a distinguished road

New to site. And obviously to thread. I am a beginner when it comes to bug out bags but I have starting putting on together.

I saw maps mentioned in earlier posts but I wanted to remind all the readers that LAMINATED maps are important. Nothing like trying to figure out where you are at in the rain when your map tears and gets soggy.

Also, for the more technology based prepper/outdoorsman, I picked up a good deal at my local Costco. It's a GOAL ZERO portable solar panel unit to charge any device with USB connections.

image-842311191.jpg

image-1924876478.jpg

This is great considering I have many apps on my iPhone that I use. One specifically useful is the "YOU NEED A MAP" app. Downloads a complete map of US directly on your phone so no service...no problem. Thanks folks

image-930001677.jpg  

Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #67
cazetofamo

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 317

cazetofamo is on a distinguished road

More arrows definately. Also try making your own. The fiberglass ones dont last for ever and its good to have backups. I also agree with getting a .22 cal

Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #68
cazetofamo

Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 317

cazetofamo is on a distinguished road

Btw would some of yall mind commenting on my entry in yhe bugout bag section of the site. For the closeted prepper. I feel that there is much to do with it. Its my first.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #69
bahramthered

Liked 133 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 82

bahramthered is on a distinguished road

Here's something to consider; My get home bag (aso bug out if needed) is gonna soon have pockets on the straps. The rig I've selected has 4 pockets which are very convenient. I won't have to stop and dig into my pack for some common things. The idea being I can keep moving and not lose time.

I fully admit I don't have these straps yet but if I had to hike in just one of my jackets or sweaters I'd load the pockets the same way. It just seems obvious; stopping, taking off your pack, and diving into it for every little thing is stupid. You can only carry so much in your pockets before they get overloaded, I'm already there.

My 4 pockets are each planned dedicated to a essential.
Cordage pocket: small role of tape, a bag of cheap cordage, a bag of tp
Nav pocket; Local map, compass, a heavier knife than the one I carry in my pocket, a glow stick, .
Med pocket; basic meds. Usual stuff low end stuff, pain, diarrhea, insect repellent, sun screen, sanitation wipes. Some band aids.
Water pocket; At the moment just some water tabs and some coffee filters, and bic lighter.

Also on the top of my Pack is a small fanny pack bag. It has a couple bottles of water, some candy bars, a bic, and a big cup. If my car refuses to start at say the grocery store a couple miles from my house I'll grab it and just walk home. If it's a Sh!t situation or hiking I'll strap it on and my pack. Guess you can call it another pocket.

Plus my usual knife and multitool in my pants pockets.

All of these pockets are mini version kits. They all have fuller versions in the main pack. This simultaneously give convince and redundancy. And of course the fuller packs take into consideration that the smaller packs are there to back them up, which should help keep the weight down.

-Another apocalypse I slept through? Man how many have I lived through now with out even having to do a thing? Well at least my preps are getting better while the apocalypse stands me up.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #70
HozayBuck

Liked 1271 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 40

HozayBuck will become famous soon enough

Howdy Lex..never saw this post..I looked yours over and it's well thought out, I did not read all the reply's so I may have missed this... I've found a frog gig to be very handy as a fish spear also look at a small gill net..yes they are generally illegal but in a shtf event your gonna have more to worry about the that...
Something you might experiment with is shooting thin light weight arrows from a wrist rocket.. using a blunt tip it can knock out small game ...altho I'm sure the blow gun will do some damage also...

If you have to fight, do not fear death.We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
And if it is to be that you die, then at least meet your God nobly and with pride.Meet it as the proud warrior that you were, not as the sniveling coward so many are. Nobody lives forever-get over it.
Die like a man.

Quick Reply