Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > My BOB. What should I fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #51
lexsurivor

Liked 56 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

lexsurivor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASKAWATCHMEN View Post
3 small jif singles
1 jar of jif
2 bags of beef jerky
3 cups of apple sauce
2 cans of vienna sausage
6 water flavorers with protein and electrolytes
3 fruit roll ups
tuna
2 cliff bars
1 fiber bar
3 granola bars

THAT'S IT FOR FOOD!
My advice is to get rid of half of that useless junk, and replace it with food.!

Here's a link to my video page. At the bottom are two video that details the emergency food supply in my Bug Out Bag...

I understand that everyone has a different view/opinion of what should go into the BOB, but nonetheless--it stands to reason that FOOD is the first thing that you should think about.
Once I got a bigger pack I was able to add more food. I have about 15 cliff bars, 4 cans of vienna sausage, a can of chicken, 5 tuna pouches, and aalot more.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #52
Hooch

Liked 1554 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 3306

Hooch is on a distinguished road

what are the playing cards for??

chapstick is good, not just for chapped lips either. and a usa map is good but for a bob... is kinda overkill unless you plan on a cross country trek. a detailed local topo map or even one of your states map would be perhaps a more reasonable addition. just a suggestion...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #53
lexsurivor

The playing cards are to help you keep your sanity. And Im going to be getting a topo map soon. As for the U.S.A map you never know when it could be useful.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #54
Hooch

Liked 1554 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 3306

Hooch is on a distinguished road

thats true about the map...I found a cool map of California that folded into a nice compact about the size of a half peice of paper and it was a plastic material so water, coffee whatever moisture got on it wont ruin it. And it was very detailed. I keep it in my truck.

I'm not a card player to much so I was stumped on the cards...thats why I asked n I cant imagine in a emergency bug out situation anyone would have much time for playing but...everyones needs are different

Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #55
TarheelPrepper

TarheelPrepper is on a distinguished road

Coming to the thread a little late but thought I'd add that having a 2-bag BOB system is advantageous. You have your larger bag with appropriate stuff and then a smaller bag that fits inside the larger bag that contains the "essentials" or duplicates of the "essentials" found elsewhere in the larger bag. The smaller bag should be light enough that you could grab it out of your big bag and run a fairly long distance. This way if you had to move very fast (to save your life) you could grab the smaller bag and dump your big bag without completely losing everything.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #56
lexsurivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelPrepper View Post
Coming to the thread a little late but thought I'd add that having a 2-bag BOB system is advantageous. You have your larger bag with appropriate stuff and then a smaller bag that fits inside the larger bag that contains the "essentials" or duplicates of the "essentials" found elsewhere in the larger bag. The smaller bag should be light enough that you could grab it out of your big bag and run a fairly long distance. This way if you had to move very fast (to save your life) you could grab the smaller bag and dump your big bag without completely losing everything.
Good idea. I Just went and put all survival tools(firestarters, lighters, wire saw, knives, etc.) in a small bag inside my bob after I Read your comment.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #57
BillM
BillM

Liked 1363 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 288

BillM is on a distinguished road
Default The SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelPrepper View Post
In the British SAS, they wear a "Belt Kit".

The belt kit contains minimum items nesicary for survival.

They also have a "Bergan" or pack.

If the unit stops or lays up for a while they will remove their Bergans but they never remove the belt kit.

The other thing they never seperate themselves from are their shoes and primary weapon.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #58
Claymore5150
Appalachian American

Liked 36 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Claymore5150 is on a distinguished road

Here's a couple of thoughts to help save space, provide some multi-function to your kit.

Batteries. Get gear that works with AA's and go with ONE battery size for everything. Watch batteries, 9v...unless needed, ditch them.

Headlamp. Because it sucks trying to tie a knot in the dark with a flashlight in one hand.

Cheap version of Sham-Wow from the dollar tree. Works great as camp towel.

Coffee Filters....a zillion uses. Get some, read up, have fun.

Twine. A ball/roll of twine saves your paracord for bigger-better stuff that you'll need it for. Cordage is ALWAYS good. Twine is tough and light.

Rope Rope...like rappelling rope, but you don't need the expensive stuff...just get 50 to 75' of the $10 stuff at walmart. It'll work in a pinch to get you out of a tight spot (or Timmy from the well).

E-tool/folding shovel. Handy.

Sierra Saw/Folding saw....best $10 you can haul into the field. Cuts through wood, bone, and rope like a hot knife through butter. Dig It. Forget the survival/wire saw junk...get one of these.

Try to figure a way to use your blow guns as something else, too...like tent poles or combine them to make a hiking staff....

Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap. Cleans you, your clothes, your gear, your mess kit. Good stuff.

2qt military style canteen does double duty as a pillow.

Survival knife. There are 8 billion choices...lemme help narrow it down. Full tang is a MUST. 3 of the most proven - USAF Pilot Survival Knife, USMC K-bar, Gerber LMFII (which has replaced the older USAF Pilot Survival Knife). Those three are excellent choices.

Food Food Food. Stuff like Ramen noodles won't smell up your pack if it explodes.

Waterproof Knot Card(s).it helps to have a card handy because knots are like foreign language...if you don't use one for a while, you forget it. There are so many good knots out there to be learned only to be forgotten 3 weeks later. haha.

Read Read Read, Practice Practice Practice. Knowledge is good but application is great.

Knowledge without practical application is trivial at best.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #59
CulexPipiens
Still waiting for the zombies.

Liked 993 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 739

CulexPipiens is on a distinguished road

Just stumbled across this thread... not sure how I missed it earlier.

To add a few comments on the 22 recommendation(s). Besides a 22 rifle, you could also add a 22 handgun. They'd share the same ammo and as stated you can carry a substantial amount without adding too much weight and since they're sharing you don't need to carry 2 types. The handgun could be in a holster, more readily available or it could be in the "mini" pack that you someone suggested as a grab and run dropping your main pack.

Second point... and maybe I missed this, but where's your medical supplies? Bandages, splints, wraps, quick clot, battle dressings, ointments, etc. You can put a LOT of assorted types of bandages in a small ziplock and a few roll up splints and ace wraps doesn't add much weight.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #60
responderzero
www.responderzero.com

responderzero is on a distinguished road

The best weapons to buy are the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 paired with a Glock 17 pistol. The Kel-Tec Rifle uses Glock 17 magazines. It can even use the 32 round extended mags. It folds in half allowing it to fit into the Go Bag. 200 rds of 9mm take up the same space as a 550 rds box of 22LR. The rifle is light and easy to clean. The recoil is non-existent. The 16 inch barrel increase the effective of the 9mm round; within 30ft it hits like .357 magnum, at 200 meters it hits like a .380.

Glock pistols set the standard for reliability. The Glock 17 is easy to shoot, easy to clean, and takes very little oil to keep operational compared to 1911 style pistols. The recoil is light.

Winchester 9mm white box ammo is cheap and very reliable. I have fired thousands of rounds and have never had a miss fire. 22LR ammo is dirty and tends to jam after alot of use. I would hesitate to trust my life to a rimfire round. I have seen too many rounds get trapped in the breach.

Stockpile: One kind of magazine, One kind of ammo. Keep it simple because the situation will supply its own complications.

For medical supplies, I recommend a trauma satchel. It allows you to separate your medical supplies from your Go Bag. The last thing you want to do in a medical emergency is dig through a bag looking for your medical kit. The trauma satchel costs about $100 and is detailed on my blog. Two essential medical supplies: Israeli Combat Bandage + QuikClot. The only realistic way an average person can respond to a gun shot wound.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply