Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Minimum Quantity Of Ammo To Have On Hand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
neil-v1

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

neil-v1 is on a distinguished road
Default Minimum Quantity Of Ammo To Have On Hand

I was wondering what everyones idea of a minimum quantity of ammo to have on hand is? I know probably as much as can be afforded, but I am trying to reach a level to where I can relax a bit on the ammo but I am curious as to what others think. Thanks for your ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 2432 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2952

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

A lot will depend upon what you expect to be dealing with. I recommended to our kids that they have 1,000 rounds minimum for their MBR (main battle rifle -- or shotgun) and 500 rounds for their defensive handgun(s) and at least 200 rounds for other firearms. The exception is 22 rimfire ammo. There should be a minimum of 1,000 rounds with 5,000 rounds an even better number. These are minimums. I'd like for them to have about twice that amount eventually.

Many will disagree with these numbers and want to store much more ammo. I don't anticipate endless battles. Combat isn't like a Rambo movie. You don't usually survive those kinds of multiple encounters. Gun battles will be avoided if at all possible but if they must be fought get the advantage any way you can. Our group is composed of family members and NONE of them are expendable.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2079 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

For hunting? A years supply would be equal to what you shoot for pratice and sighting in as well as for hunting. For me, that means having 100 rounds for my rifle for a year.

Wildmist has her "varmit" rifle and currently has around 1,000 rounds for it. Two boxes of 525 rounds for $40 each box. Nothing spectacular, just .22LR "varmit-specials". Cheap, cheap, cheap.

If the SHTF I would probably want to have 5 years supply of hunting shells for my rifle, so, 500 rounds would do the trick. The reason for that is my rifle is bolt-action with a 5-round magazine. Can't have any more than that for hunting in Canada. I don't know if I would want to have more than 5-rounds in the magazine either - the amount of pain my shoulder would be in after doing 10-rounds is more than enough

I don't imagine that I would be shooting at people - I eat what I kill.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
goose

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

goose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitomountainman View Post
A lot will depend upon what you expect to be dealing with. I recommended to our kids that they have 1,000 rounds minimum for their MBR (main battle rifle -- or shotgun) and 500 rounds for their defensive handgun(s) and at least 200 rounds for other firearms. The exception is 22 rimfire ammo. There should be a minimum of 1,000 rounds with 5,000 rounds an even better number. These are minimums. I'd like for them to have about twice that amount eventually.

Many will disagree with these numbers and want to store much more ammo. I don't anticipate endless battles. Combat isn't like a Rambo movie. You don't usually survive those kinds of multiple encounters. Gun battles will be avoided if at all possible but if they must be fought get the advantage any way you can. Our group is composed of family members and NONE of them are expendable.
Well, I'm not going to disagree, because I mostly agree.

I'd always thought about 2000 for MBR, maybe 1000 for each handgun. But what I wanted more than that is the ability to make more. I reload, so I've laid in a supply of powder, primer, and bullets.

But the numbers seem right to me.

To me, it's more of a long-term supply than enough to fight a battle--you're right, you don't tend to survive those things. I never want to shoot my weapons in anger, as it means I have failed to prevent that kind of scenario from unfolding.

It reminds me of poker--when you go "all-in," you've put it all on the line. Seems to me the goal in a survival situation is to never have to go all-in, and any time you're in a gunfight, you've just done that.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 935 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post

I don't imagine that I would be shooting at people - I eat what I kill.

Har, har, har! Made me smile!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
saintsfanbrian
Liberty or Death!!!!

saintsfanbrian is on a distinguished road

It depends on the situation. If you are preparing for the SHTF scenario of a government take over then you need a lot more than 1000 rounds per MBR. If you are preparing for a collapse of the government for a period of time then the numbers mentioned above sound about right.

I have enough for buth my MBR and BBR that I can survive for a while without having to reload though I am looking into getting reloading equipment for my MBR and BBR. Personal defense handgun has enough to be effective. Remember this should only be used to get you to your MBR or when your MBR is out completely.

The short answer is - as much as I can get.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
NotSoFast

NotSoFast is on a distinguished road

10,000 rounds of battle rifle ammo, 5,000 round of hunting ammo for each weapon.

While you may never use it all, it will definitely be one of the big things wanted in barter.

And think on this. When I am practicing like I should, I use up ammo at the rate of 5,000 to 10,000 rounds a year. Now I admit that in a real life survival situation we are going to conserve ammo. But at the same time we will need to practice to keep our skills honed. So these numbers aren't that far off of what some experts have recommended.

Oh, and as many .22lr as you can stash and probably 500 rounds of mixed shotgun ammo.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 2432 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2952

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFast View Post
10,000 rounds of battle rifle ammo, 5,000 round of hunting ammo for each weapon.

While you may never use it all, it will definitely be one of the big things wanted in barter.

And think on this. When I am practicing like I should, I use up ammo at the rate of 5,000 to 10,000 rounds a year. Now I admit that in a real life survival situation we are going to conserve ammo. But at the same time we will need to practice to keep our skills honed. So these numbers aren't that far off of what some experts have recommended.

Oh, and as many .22lr as you can stash and probably 500 rounds of mixed shotgun ammo.
I've always wondered about the large amounts of ammo burned up for practice. In the past when people used muzzleloaders I doubt if they used 5,000 rounds in a lifetime yet they tended to be excellent shots. Why do we need so many just to saty in "shooting shape?" I have nothing against burning through pounds of gunpowder but I do question whether it is necessary to do so.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
NotSoFast

NotSoFast is on a distinguished road

Maybe because we refuse to ask experts for help. Also, our weapons seem to be more complicated with more things to learn.

For example, I must have gone through 500 rounds figuring out the best position for my trigger finger on my pistol...and it's not the same for my revolver.

Besides, I like to make and hear things go *BANG*

Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
ZoomZoom
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 2472 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 445

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

IMHO, mosquitomountainman has the right idea but if you have the means to buy and store, obviously get more.

I'd like to throw out a multiplier though. Instead of these numbers be per household (assumed in the discussion), I like these numbers "per weapon", or at minimum, "per person". E.g. If you have (2) .223's, you'll want 2000 rounds or more. If you have a family of 4, you may want to have 4000 rounds. Each member needs to practice.

For now, it's against my better judgment to barter ammo away. I guess it's a mental philosophy of "whomever has the last bullet, wins". Depending on the level of SHTF, if it gets real bad, the ammo will disappear before the weapons do. If that's the case, people may trade their ammo-less firearms for food. If you have the ammo for it, it's back in service to your benefit.

Quick Reply