You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion >

Education and been Prepared.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #21
Tweto
I love the smell of Argon in the morning

Liked 3929 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 2815

Tweto is on a distinguished road

I would guess the difference lays in the basic way we have all decided to live our lives. The act of using other peoples money to enhance their professional life is a fairly new ideal of the last 100 years or so, before that you had to have your own money to do it and back then only the financial elite could afford to send there kids to college.

I was raised around people that borrowed money for everything, their house, their cars, their kids college. Eventually these same people ended up borrowing money for normal daily living expenses. In every case it ended in bankruptcies and in some cases multiple bankruptcies were the creditors were hung out and had to suffer because of one person drive to enhance their life.

These people's kids got their degrees in subjects that will never justified the suffering of the parents or the amount of money needed to send them through school. But of coarse it wasn't the kids money so they picked majors that were guaranteed to never make any money.

No student paying their own way would pick a major that didn't have a field that has good payback potential and a security factor to it.

I guess it purely a cultural thing, one group decides that debt and owing people something for their help is the way they want to live, constantly in a circle and burden of personal and corporate debt. On the other side of the coin is the group that wants no debt, ether personal of corporate and spends there lives always paying cash for whatever they get in life. Never borrowing for school, cars and even homes.

Their are 2 classes of financial orientated believes and the two shell never agree or meet.

When SHTF, only the paranoid survive.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #22
AmishHeart

Liked 2133 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

AmishHeart is on a distinguished road

And then there's High School counselors who encourage useless out of state colleges and useless degrees. We have 5 children, and I remember speaking with her "advisor" in her last year. She recommended our daughter take a year off and join the peace corp (dangerous) and then go to Oregon state to study something green. Our daughter applied in state and received a regents scholarship (top one, based on academics, not race) and did a 4 yr full ride in biochem. She is now in Pharmacy school.
The counselors and professors are the ones who are nuts.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #23
weedygarden
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 5066 Times on 2020 Posts
Likes Given: 14263

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishHeart View Post
And then there's High School counselors who encourage useless out of state colleges and useless degrees. We have 5 children, and I remember speaking with her "advisor" in her last year. She recommended our daughter take a year off and join the peace corp (dangerous) and then go to Oregon state to study something green. Our daughter applied in state and received a regents scholarship (top one, based on academics, not race) and did a 4 yr full ride in biochem. She is now in Pharmacy school.
I know two people who have died while serving in the peace corps. You are correct that it can be dangerous. I know a few other people who haven't had problems, but, you never know when you are on foreign soil.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #24
terri9630

Liked 2008 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

terri9630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishHeart View Post

When we took our girls out of public school the teachers and counselors were telling the kids they wouldn't get a diploma and wouldn't be able to go to college. These "adults" were lying to the kids and getting them upset because they wanted them to stay in public school. The same school over run with border gangs and drugs that was graduating kids who can't read well enough to pass their written driving test. My oldest is now in college and the youngest is being home schooled.

Due to recent cut backs the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

People Like This 
Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #25
readytogo
readytogo

Liked 2773 Times on 1286 Posts
Likes Given: 740

readytogo is on a distinguished road

weedygarden; there are so many opportunities in America that is a shame many of our kids don`t take them that is why you see so many kids from other countries here ,at schools and working in many fields. My VA hospital is a training center is full of students from other countries ,they pay for the education by working it off ,That`s why I said parents should get more involved in their kids education ,it pays to be prepared ,times are changing quick ,even my nurses at the hospital are taking new courses in the new technologies coming out or they will lose their jobs .

Old Yesterday, 02:42 AM   #26
tsrwivey
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7533 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 21901

tsrwivey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedygarden View Post
I must be a bad parent. I didn't send my daughter to college. She went on her own. She paid her own way, and here and there I gave her a little money, and I mean a little.
I'm living proof it won't kill them. I worked, was married, & had two kids while going to college full time. Twice. No student loans, no government freebies, not a dime from anyone else. Of course, I had no time for staring at a screen, tossing 12 ounces, whining about how mistreated I was, & I'd have gotten my butt kicked out of the nursing program if I'd have told them a needed a few days off to mourn because I didn't get the president I wanted. With all the online classes, it should be easier than ever to work your way through college. All they had in the stone ages was a few courses on video. Taking classes online sure would've made balancing everything a lot easier.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM   #27
drfacefixer

Liked 780 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 541

drfacefixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweto View Post
I would guess the difference lays in the basic way we have all decided to live our lives. The act of using other peoples money to enhance their professional life is a fairly new ideal of the last 100 years or so, before that you had to have your own money to do it and back then only the financial elite could afford to send there kids to college.

I was raised around people that borrowed money for everything, their house, their cars, their kids college. Eventually these same people ended up borrowing money for normal daily living expenses. In every case it ended in bankruptcies and in some cases multiple bankruptcies were the creditors were hung out and had to suffer because of one person drive to enhance their life.

These people's kids got their degrees in subjects that will never justified the suffering of the parents or the amount of money needed to send them through school. But of coarse it wasn't the kids money so they picked majors that were guaranteed to never make any money.

No student paying their own way would pick a major that didn't have a field that has good payback potential and a security factor to it.

I guess it purely a cultural thing, one group decides that debt and owing people something for their help is the way they want to live, constantly in a circle and burden of personal and corporate debt. On the other side of the coin is the group that wants no debt, ether personal of corporate and spends there lives always paying cash for whatever they get in life. Never borrowing for school, cars and even homes.

Their are 2 classes of financial orientated believes and the two shell never agree or meet.

I will give you a little hint. Those that learned how to use debt to their advantage have run our country for the last hundred years. They are called business men and women. You don't start companies when you finally have saved up enough operating costs. you finance the capital, you get investors. I know of people in similar situations that you've spoken of. Those that live on credit - but here is the difference. They live like that because they are uneducated about how to benefit using good debt, corporation structuring tax strategy or trusts.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM   #28
tsrwivey
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7533 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 21901

tsrwivey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweto View Post
When you do something 100% by yourself you own it, it's yours, it's apart of you and no one can take it away. To the people that have support, whether it be parents, government, or other sources, theirs always that knowledge that you really didn't do it all by yourself, but had help because you just weren't strong enough to do it yourself.
Although I worked my way through school, we pay for our kids. (Well we did, one is taking a break & the other is on academic scholarship now). We pay for school on a few conditions: 1) we approve of the degree plan (we're not paying for a degree in basket weaving). 2). They go to a local school if possible. 3) They live at home or they pay their own living expenses. 4) no grades below a 'B'.

All kids left the nest before age 19 & have paid for their own living expenses since then. The kid still in school is 22, married, 7 months pregnant with their second kid, is in the medical lab program, & works in a lab part time. She gets straight A's & her classes are not easy. Very few folks get an A in Organic Chemistry II. They bought their own home with no help two years ago, they were both 20yrs old & had a kid. She's on a full academic scholarship now & they are completely financially independent now. They even pay for their own health insurance. We were paying for books, tuition, gas, car, health insurance, & cell phone (no data plans). Their cars were paid for with cash. My kids work hard, are not entitled, manage money well, could've paid for school themselves ( technically academic scholarship is earning it). When she graduates, she'll have her husband, sisters, professor, & us to thank for helping her. That's a good thing.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #29
tmttactical
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2282 Times on 554 Posts
Likes Given: 9177

tmttactical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrwivey View Post
Although I worked my way through school, we pay for our kids. (Well we did, one is taking a break & the other is on academic scholarship now). We pay for school on a few conditions: 1) we approve of the degree plan (we're not paying for a degree in basket weaving). 2). They go to a local school if possible. 3) They live at home or they pay their own living expenses. 4) no grades below a 'B'.

All kids left the nest before age 19 & have paid for their own living expenses since then. The kid still in school is 22, married, 7 months pregnant with their second kid, is in the medical lab program, & works in a lab part time. She gets straight A's & her classes are not easy. Very few folks get an A in Organic Chemistry II. They bought their own home with no help two years ago, they were both 20yrs old & had a kid. She's on a full academic scholarship now & they are completely financially independent now. They even pay for their own health insurance. We were paying for books, tuition, gas, car, health insurance, & cell phone (no data plans). Their cars were paid for with cash. My kids work hard, are not entitled, manage money well, could've paid for school themselves ( technically academic scholarship is earning it). When she graduates, she'll have her husband, sisters, professor, & us to thank for helping her. That's a good thing.
Great job on raising strong, independent children. I wish more parents followed your example.

Quick Reply