You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion >

Consequences of a large nuclear war.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 02:07 AM   #71
tmttactical
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6814 Times on 1748 Posts
Likes Given: 19715

tmttactical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverautumn View Post
My take on this is that we need something in the way of a civil defense program. This would be a legitimate function of government. We've already got a military, why shouldn't we also have a civil defense program? Sure, it's not going to be perfect, but nothing ever is. Why shouldn't we at least try?

That being said, we each have an individual responsibility to provide for ourselves as far as we can. That's why we're preppers - so that we'll at least have a better chance than most.
We do have a civil defense, it's called prepping. Civilization has negated Darwin and nature by protecting those who will not protect themselves, most of the time from themselves.

If it hits the fan, Darwin kicks in and those that prepped survive and mother nature will deal with those that waited for the government to save them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 02:09 AM   #72
CrackbottomLouis
Winston Smith Sent Me
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15780 Times on 3347 Posts
Likes Given: 5101

CrackbottomLouis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My take on this is that we need something in the way of a civil defense program. This would be a legitimate function of government. We've already got a military, why shouldn't we also have a civil defense program? Sure, it's not going to be perfect, but nothing ever is. Why shouldn't we at least try?

That being said, we each have an individual responsibility to provide for ourselves as far as we can. That's why we're preppers - so that we'll at least have a better chance than most.
Isnt that what the national guard was supposed to be before the one army concept swallowed it into the maw of the federal government?

I once met a man named Galt.
He said it didnt matter who was at fault.
The looters will loose and moochers be d*mn*d,
Because Ragnar has a Colt!

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 AM   #73
hiwall
Just walking at the edge of my grave

Liked 6532 Times on 2411 Posts
Likes Given: 1114

hiwall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
TENS OF THOUSANDS of nukes going off
Um, there aren't that many.

Times are tough - keep your powder dry

When is doomsday gonna get here?

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2017, 04:16 AM   #74
Pessimistic2
Watching the world self-destruct!
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7699 Times on 2649 Posts
Likes Given: 9515

Pessimistic2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Um, there aren't that many.
How about 16,300? Forgot the "inventory" has been reduced.. "Tens of thousands" might have been a stretch!

http://www.businessinsider.com/nine-nations-have-nukes--heres-how-many-each-country-has-2014-6

This is from the 2014 Report cited in the link..
"According to a new report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), nine nations — the United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea — possess approximately 16,300 nuclear weapons. in total."

I'm attempting to give a damn about all those "foreign nations" that are receiving U.S. Aid, but hate us anyway. It ain't workin'.

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #75
Dove150

Liked 86 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Dove150 is on a distinguished road

Well, like the Bible says, "After you've done all you can do, stand."

Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #76
AmishHeart

Liked 3629 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 3115

AmishHeart is on a distinguished road

Where does it say that?

Old 04-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #77
Pessimistic2
Watching the world self-destruct!
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7699 Times on 2649 Posts
Likes Given: 9515

Pessimistic2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishHeart View Post
Where does it say that?
I think Dove150 is referring to Ephesians 6:13: (NASB version).."Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."

There are many different wordings for this verse, depending on which Bible you are using.

I'm attempting to give a damn about all those "foreign nations" that are receiving U.S. Aid, but hate us anyway. It ain't workin'.

tmttactical Likes This 
Old 04-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #78
Starcreek
Fresh Face

Liked 5469 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 1680

Starcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:

From what I understand, Switzerland maintains enough well-stocked fallout shelters to accommodate every Swiss citizen. They also require everyone to serve a year in the military and to keep and practice with their firearm after they get out of the military.

I have had some friends that were Swiss, and they are the most easy-going, courteous people you would ever want to meet. Very friendly, sweet people. And the country is neutral in every war. Yet they have an excellent civil defense program.

Maybe we could learn something from the Swiss.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #79
tmttactical
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6814 Times on 1748 Posts
Likes Given: 19715

tmttactical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcreek View Post
From what I understand, Switzerland maintains enough well-stocked fallout shelters to accommodate every Swiss citizen. They also require everyone to serve a year in the military and to keep and practice with their firearm after they get out of the military.

I have had some friends that were Swiss, and they are the most easy-going, courteous people you would ever want to meet. Very friendly, sweet people. And the country is neutral in every war. Yet they have an excellent civil defense program.

Maybe we could learn something from the Swiss.
Starcreek, I really do wish we could be like the Swiss, but it is never going to happen. We have enough trouble keeping our guns, much less forcing everybody to keep and bear arms. The Swiss can afford the civil defense because they are not gotten 20 trillion in debt. We fight the wars, they stay neutral and hide the money. Makes their government a bit smarter than ours.

Quick Reply