Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Canned foods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #21
sailaway
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 283 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 383

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Ramen Noodles are definately after my time, in my time we called Kraft Cheese and Macaroni Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I did pick a case of Ramen Noodles up at Sams Club, They were cheap, The kids in Scouts seem to like them. I would be interested in knowing if they store longer than their advertised shelf life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
Jason
I am a little teapot

Liked 738 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 1528

Jason is on a distinguished road

We keep a couple packets of ramen noodles on hand in the kitchen cupboard. They're good when you are in a hurry. I usually add stuff to mine-if I have chicken flavor I add chicken and the same with beef for beef flavor. It makes it feel at least a little bit like I'm not back in my drafty dorm room.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #23
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 827 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Ramen Noodles are definately after my time, in my time we called Kraft Cheese and Macaroni Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I did pick a case of Ramen Noodles up at Sams Club, They were cheap, The kids in Scouts seem to like them. I would be interested in knowing if they store longer than their advertised shelf life.
I don't know what the advertised shelf life is, but just the other day I ate some Ramen from 1990 (I did NOT know it was that old at the time & it might've had no nutritive value but it did fill me up), so since I'm a gambling man I will say 'yes'.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #24
tsrwivey
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2408 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 7835

tsrwivey is on a distinguished road

Chef Boyardee, Ramen noodles, & Kraft mac & cheese are all stored in quantity here. Canned tamales, too. They are easy to grab & take to work for lunch when there are no leftovers. We add a can of tuna to the mac n cheese. Can't be as bad nutritionally as the drive thru. Chef Boyardee & Kraft mac & cheese both come in whole grain now & taste fine. We store what we eat & eat what we store.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #25
lotsoflead

Liked 192 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 75

lotsoflead is on a distinguished road

personally, I can't see wasting time or money storing anything that isn't good for my or my families body, like sausage,Mac and that plastic the call cheeze, we all love it, but it isn't found in our home except maybe once a yr. To stay healthy and med free after the SHsTF, a person has to start by eating healthy before and after the SHsTF.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #26
sailaway

Liked 283 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 383

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoflead View Post
personally, I can't see wasting time or money storing anything that isn't good for my or my families body, like sausage,Mac and that plastic the call cheeze, we all love it, but it isn't found in our home except maybe once a yr. To stay healthy and med free after the SHsTF, a person has to start by eating healthy before and after the SHsTF.
I agree about eating healthy, but it seems the healthier a food is for you, the shorter its shelf life is. The crappier food I have in my preps is for longer term SHTF needs. I also have a 1.5 year supply of my vitamin regimine. Crappier food is to take the edge off hunger and suppliment foraged fresh foods.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #27
JayJay

Liked 882 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I have lots of crab and tuna and smoked salmon keeps forever. I'm on the lookout for shrimp and lobster. I'd also take anchovies or sardines.

Not a fan of canned oysters or clams. No snails either. I only like them with lots of butter and I'm only storing vegetable oil and lard.

I can't bring most of the canned meats home because my wife looks at the sodium and preservatives and says no right away.

I'm not a fan of canned chicken.

Millionaire is a good brand for sardines. But they are hit and miss with stamping proper expiry dates. Clover leaf is good for the seafood stuff.
I like the canned chicken..great for chicken salad ..likewise for the turkey, tuna, and ham.

But, around here, sweet pickles are not being made, or being bought first for they are hard to find...maybe that's because China cornered the maket?? Yep--I checked after buying 10 jars ...China made my sweet pickles!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #28
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
If I had to live on Chef Boyardee Lasagna and Vienna sausages, I think I'd have wished the sh&t would have hit the fan a little harder.

Sorry, Sail-just my 2 cents.
Are you saying you like vienna sausages like I do?? I have waaaay too many BOBs and now I started a 5 gallon bucket of food items and stuck 2 cans of vinny weenies in---I could eat 10 cans myself!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
Momturtle

Liked 61 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Momturtle is on a distinguished road

Have bunches of sardines, salmon, have some canned hash, freeze dried shrimp from Emergency Essentials, and I am always looking for a little something to add variety. Bought one can of that canned sausage to check it out. Ohhhh the horror! Kind of smelled like potted meat and had the same consistancy. The can suggested scrambling it with eggs which created a horrid appearing mush. Poor hubby who will eat almost anything absolutely refused. I tried it and couldn't imagine any way to make it paletable. Maybe with chopped onions, celery in little ravioli kind of things . . . nope, it was pretty nasty.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #30
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I don't know what the advertised shelf life is, but just the other day I ate some Ramen from 1990 (I did NOT know it was that old at the time & it might've had no nutritive value but it did fill me up), so since I'm a gambling man I will say 'yes'.
I pray you are not kidding--I have 300 packages of the little buggers---and I have to be really desperate to eat something from plastic, as I'm a stay at home old lady and I cook!!!!

If you're truthful, you made my day!!

Someone said the flavor packages go rancid, but the noodles are fine.

Tags
canned foods, food storage

Quick Reply