Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Canned Food With The Highest Calories ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
neil-v1

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

neil-v1 is on a distinguished road
Default Canned Food With The Highest Calories ??

I started prepping after the first time I visited this site. I think this site is a very, very valuable tool for every person to use........Anyway, I am kinda kickin myself in the bum now for buying so many cans of vegetables when I could have been investing that money (as far as canned goods go) in things like corned beef hash or roast beef hash, beef stew, chili, etc. etc. Things that have a high caloric content and can really keep your butt ALIVE. I put most of my prep money in dry goods now (and of course ammo) and have done well I think. I just keep kicking myself for not knowing more so I could have spent the money more wisely. I guess I am just posting this for any new folk's here so they can learn from it. I am sure I will be very happy to have my vegies when the time comes, but I am glad I know more now so that I won't starve to death eating a majority of them.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas as far as high calorie count canned goods, etc that people should look at in the early stages to add to any rice / grain stocks? I hope this post does not sound stupid? I just would much prefer to have 300 cans of beef stew in the pantry over 300 cans of green beens, etc. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by neil-v1; 08-30-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: left out a word.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1159 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

It's not too late to keep buying canned goods, and you can start getting the higher calorie things now. Sounds like you've done fine so far. Great start, great job.

The highest calorie canned foods will be those with some fats/oils in them. Meats are a good one, as is meat stew, meat ravioli, etc. Chili with meat. Tuna in oil. Canned ham, canned chicken, etc. Check olives, they might be higher in calories too.

The very highest in a can is Sweetened condensed milk. There's more than 1,300 calories in a can. Awfully sweet stuff, but tons of energy in that can!

You can make a quick rice pudding by adding the stuff to cooked rice. Add a little vanilla and/or cinnamon, too, if you have it.

Speaking of which, spices are something I have to keep reminding myself to stock up on...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
lotsoflead

Liked 192 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 75

lotsoflead is on a distinguished road

i would think cans of chicken breast would be a healthier product to stock than canned hash, in a survival situation, a person should always eat the best foods they can to stay in the best health.Chicken breast aren't to bad if doctored up with some mustard or warmed on a grill with bar be Q sauce. hash is 270 fat cal and 35% cholest,33% sodium.

Last edited by lotsoflead; 08-30-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3922 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 2077

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Peanut butter is an item that will give you a lot of bang (calories) for the buck. 190 calories in 2 tablespoons with 130 of those calories coming from fat. Yeah, I just went out and looked at the jar. We keep a lot of PB on hand.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2326 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 1372

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
Peanut butter is an item that will give you a lot of bang (calories) for the buck. 190 calories in 2 tablespoons with 130 of those calories coming from fat. Yeah, I just went out and looked at the jar. We keep a lot of PB on hand.
I love my PB-honey-n-Cheeze sandwiches - lots of energy packed into a simple sandwich. Add in a couple of cross-country-cookies and you have energy for a day! (You can see my recipe for cross-country-cookies here in the recipe section).

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1159 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

*slaps forehead* Why didn't I think of peanut butter!!!

If you can find it in glass jars and keep it in a dark place, it'll keep from getting rancid as quickly as plastic jars. Even so, I think it takes a year or two for it to go rancid in plastic jars. Harder to find in glass, but it's out there.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 2870 Times on 1125 Posts
Likes Given: 3494

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

I've read several accounts of Alaskan trappers and hunters who carry a jar of peanut butter as survival food when they're out in the woods.
Even if you're good at "living off the land" the fat content of wild food (including game animals) is very low. You need the fat to keep warm in cold climates and PB is a concentrated dose of both calories and fat.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 827 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
*slaps forehead* Why didn't I think of peanut butter!!!

If you can find it in glass jars and keep it in a dark place, it'll keep from getting rancid as quickly as plastic jars. Even so, I think it takes a year or two for it to go rancid in plastic jars. Harder to find in glass, but it's out there.
in my personal experience, the foil-lined bulk cans of generic peanut butter keep for 10 years (tasted fine)

quality over calorie is a debate I've seen in this thread & elsewhere and my personal opinion is that if you have the money/space get the healthiest food you can... but sometimes there is something to be said for all those extra fat calories (especially in the winter)

my only other advice at the moment is to try to store as close to a diet of stuff that you already are eating, that way you know you won't be miserable on 'survival food'

Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
GroovyMike

Liked 55 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 65

GroovyMike is on a distinguished road

great advice above. they already said everything I was going to type.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
lotsoflead

Liked 192 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 75

lotsoflead is on a distinguished road

I love peanut butter but don't eat it anymore, but young people(GKs) may be coming to stay here if things get real tough so we store a few jars for them

Quick Reply