Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Bullet point list for new preppers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Goblin
Finger in the Fan Guy

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Goblin is on a distinguished road
Default Bullet point list for new preppers...

with short attention spans! I'm a "list" guy and if you are also, this may help.

General:

Make your first goal a 30 day supply of the "Fab Four"... Food, Water, Fuel, and first aid.

Decide if you will BUG-OUT or BUG-IN and supply accordingly.

Prioritize your supplies based the most likely SHTF to occur in your area...flood, blizzard, etc.

Tell only trusted family and friends that you are prepping.

FOOD

Store extended shelf life foods that do not require water to prepare!

Store foods that can be easily rotated into daily use as they approach the freshness date

Canned foods can provide meat, veggies, bread, dairy, and extra water.

A small camp stove can be used for warming the food.

Water

1 gallon per person per day for drinking

Don't forget the water in the water heater. It's ok for washing, the toilets, etc.

If you have some warning, you can fill several 50 gal plastic trash cans for extra bathing and toilet water.

Water can be treated by using 8 drops of bleach per gallon. Boiling is good if you have enough fuel.

Light

Kerosene\hurricane lamps are the best. Have one for each person and a gallon of fuel for each. This will be enough for the 30 day scenario.

Small LED lanterns and flash lights can be used for personal needs or task specific lighting.

Generators are great, but very expensive to buy and feed! If you're rich, go for it!

Heat

Do not use a camp stove for heat in an unventilated room. They do make "indoor-rated" propane heaters now. Get a couple of those and enough fuel for limited use. Warm clothing and bedding will do for most situations

In a pinch, a large soup pot will make an emergency fire place if you can hunker down in the garage and vent the smoke out a window. Having a few of those man-made fire logs on hand wouldn't hurt.

Protection

12ga pump shotgun for the house

A hi-cap concealable pistol for ea. adult.

Extra Stuff

Batteries
Matches
Disposable lighters
Cell phone charger
Radio
Waterless soap
Toilet paper

These tips will help you to get started quickly.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
LittleFire

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

LittleFire is on a distinguished road

Not a bad list to start with for sure. I like it! If you live up North, like I do, make sure you have also a sleeping bag that is good to go below freezing for if you are not near a source of heat, this will come quite welcoming. Have one for every member of the family. And you can never go wrong with some tarps also....

People Like This 
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Canadian
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 127 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Canadian is on a distinguished road

+1 on the -20 to -30 C sleeping bag if you're in the north.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
doc66

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

doc66 is on a distinguished road

As many here know (or maybe just a couple) my major disagreement with the list is the 12 gauge shotgun for many reasons. As a defensive firearm it is limited by a few things; number of rounds (a revolver holds more in most cases), the selection of rounds that people think will work (stay away from birdshot, its crap for defense, use 00 buck), and the belief that it can be used as a multi-purpose weapon. It can, but it is limited even in that. On top of those, the shotgun is punishing to the average shooter over a large round count.

A better choice would be a military-based rifle, take your pick of your favorite. I realize that there are places that do not allow these, but even a Pistol Caliber Carbine is better defensively than a shotgun in many cases.

Just my two cents as a firearms instructor and someone who teaches these things.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
sundevilkid

sundevilkid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc66 View Post
As many here know (or maybe just a couple) my major disagreement with the list is the 12 gauge shotgun for many reasons. As a defensive firearm it is limited by a few things; number of rounds (a revolver holds more in most cases), the selection of rounds that people think will work (stay away from birdshot, its crap for defense, use 00 buck), and the belief that it can be used as a multi-purpose weapon. It can, but it is limited even in that. On top of those, the shotgun is punishing to the average shooter over a large round count.

A better choice would be a military-based rifle, take your pick of your favorite. I realize that there are places that do not allow these, but even a Pistol Caliber Carbine is better defensively than a shotgun in many cases.

Just my two cents as a firearms instructor and someone who teaches these things.
Yes but nothing is better than a 12 gauge when it comes to intimidation factor, knock down power, and aim. It's easier to hit a moving target at short distances with the 12 gauge than it is with a rifle/pistol. I'm a pretty good shot with my 9, but my wife is not. 12 gauge would be more forgiving in those cases. Especially if you are using the 18" barrel instead of the longer barrels (keeping in mind we are talking close quarter combat, not long range hunting). I personally would like to own the Remingtion 870 express with the short barrel and 7 + 1 loader.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
sailaway
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 287 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 384

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

As I've gone from age 44 to 48, my eyes have been changing. I haven't been for an eye exam due to no insurance, so I have several pair of drug store reading glasses. Keep at least one pair in your BOB and and another pair in your safe place.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
doc66

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilkid View Post
Yes but nothing is better than a 12 gauge when it comes to intimidation factor, knock down power, and aim. It's easier to hit a moving target at short distances with the 12 gauge than it is with a rifle/pistol. I'm a pretty good shot with my 9, but my wife is not. 12 gauge would be more forgiving in those cases. Especially if you are using the 18" barrel instead of the longer barrels (keeping in mind we are talking close quarter combat, not long range hunting). I personally would like to own the Remingtion 870 express with the short barrel and 7 + 1 loader.
This is an urban myth! It is not true at all!

I can cite you many instances of shotguns FAILING to work. A shotgun is no more forgiving than any other firearm in your battery. It still has to be aimed, it has a limited range and it is punishing to the shooter. I would NEVER suggest that a female who is unused to firearms use a shotgun over a good PCC. I have years of experience in training not only LEO but civilians as well. I have failed many an officer from chiefs of police to "knowing" road officers who thought that the shotgun was something you could just "shoot" because they didn't understand that it has to be aimed like any other firearm.

There is no substitute for training and proper firearm handling. A shotgun is not a mythical weapon that will make people quake in fear, blow holes in and through objects and send the person being shot across the room. There is no such a beast as Knock Down Power, and all shotgun stocks are too long for the average shooter, it is not an one size fits all weapon. The M4 carbine is a much better firearm in all aspects.

Forget all that you've heard, It is a fallible as any other firearm out there.

Training Schools will tell you all kinds of BS to get you to take their course, they will espouse all kinds of rhetoric about the shotgun and its uses. They just want your money. As do I want your money if you take one of my courses, but I'm not going to fill you full of BS about how great the weapon is. It is not. Suarez International will tell you the same thing. I'm not a big fan of the man per se, but he and I agree on many things in training, and the shotgun is one of them: it's not as wonderful as people want it to be.

Check us out at www.milcopptactical.com

Come and take our shotgun course, you'll learn a lot about how the shotgun really works and doesn't work.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

A 12 gauge can be an effective close quarter combat/home defense weapon. Is it the best.......depends on what weapons are available in your area, what you can afford, and of course the circumstances of the situation. Do I own a 12 gauge yes.....is it my only weapon? NO........

As with any weapon....one must use the right load, properly maintain it, train with it, and understand its limitations. It has been my experience that most (not all) shotgun failures are the result of operator error or neglect.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
doc66

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Not true. Shotguns fail for those reasons and because people do not understand that they are very Limited in their loading for defense and they are NOT as effective as they are touted to be. I have reports of shotgun shootings where the failure was the slugs not stopping the fight after passing through the body, the buckshot failing to penetrate at range and numerous other instances where a .223 or even a well aimed pistol round would have done better and in a couple of the cases, the PISTOL stopped the fight, not the shotgun.

I would take a Pistol Caliber Carbine (or a M4 carbine) over a shotgun on any given day. The PCC is lighter, carries more rounds and has faster followup shots than a shotgun with faster reloads and target acquisition. A Marlin Camp Carbine with a nice red dot in .45 ACP is a better choice for some place where you can't have an "assault weapon" and are limited to magazine capacity. You can get the Wilson Clinton mags (ten rounds) and be that far ahead of the shotgun for CQB.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a part of the battery, but it should never be the go to weapon. There are numerous other firearms that are better suited to defense. Personally, the M4 style carbine is my go-to weapon. The shotgun for me, is third, after my Glock.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Vertigo

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Vertigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc66 View Post
Some valid points have been made here and I must agree with you that a tactical shotgun has its limitations, as do many other firearms.

However, as a simple home defensive measure, I believe a shotgun is great. But off course it must be used in the correct manner.

If the perpetrator is already knocking down your front door and you (or your wife, children,... for that matter) still need to load your firearm before you can make your stand, then yeah, a shotgun is a bad idea.

If you are planning to stop a group thugs at the end of your street, looting and who knows what in one of your neighbours' house, then yeah an assault rifle will give me more confidence (provided I at least trained with it)

However, to go back to my statement that I believe a shotgun is great for in and (close-by) around the house, let me explain:

I do some amount of clay-pigeon shooting each year and though this is not a true tactical training, like your school apparently offers, it does teach one something about the limitations and markmanship with this firearm. It is quick, quick to shoulder, quick to aim. It has a good balance, there are no 'additions' to take my focus away, it is devastating within about 25 meters (with the right load). My first round is (reasonably consistently) hitting a target smaller than one's head, travelling at about 60 km/h, about 15 to 35 metres away. Now, if one can do that for a clay pigeon, it should not be that hard for 2-legged critters. I am not saying it is an area-weapon, but it sure gives me more consistent hits on my clays than a semi-automatic rifle ever would.

A second, in my opinion the most important, consideration is that of over penetration. I think one must agree that before using a firearm in-house (or outside in the backyard) in a populated neighbourhood should be evaded at all costs and if there is no option to turn away from the danger, special considerations for over-penetration are desirable. True, a shotgun with certain loads will still over-penetrate, but not even close to that of a semi-automatic rifle.

Also, for many the issue of cost is a big plus for shotguns. A well made, simple shotgun can be had around here starting from 500 euro (about 700 dollar) for a new one or much cheaper for second hand. Before you tell me this is expensive, realise I live in Europe and firearms are not exactly cheap around here. A semi-automatic rifle in .223 would probably start around 1200 euro (about 1500 dollar) (and never mind the fact that I cannot own such a rifle, with a magazine of more than 3-5 rounds, unless a special extra permit is requested (and often denied)).

And where cost is low for a shotgun, their value is great, most people with shotguns here use shotguns over 15 years old, which apart from some basic cleaning, have never needed any repairs or maintenance whatsoever.

But this is of course my opinion and under no circumstance do I pretend to be an expert on the matter.

greetz and take care,

V.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,
conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone,
comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal,
fight efficiently and die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Magus Likes This 

Quick Reply