Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > 11 Prep Items That Almost Never Go Bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
IrritatedWithUS

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

IrritatedWithUS is on a distinguished road
Default 11 Prep Items That Almost Never Go Bad

Honey

Honey never really goes bad. In a tomb in Egypt 3,000 years ago, honey was found and was still edible. If there are temperature fluctuations and sunlight, then the consistency and color can change. Many honey harvesters say that when honey crystallizes, then it can be re-heated and used just like fresh honey. Because of honey’s low water content, microorganisms do not like the environment.

Uses: curing, baking, medicinal, wine (mead)

Salt

Although salt is prone to absorbing moisture, it’s shelf life is indefinite. This indispensable mineral will be a valuable commodity in a long term disaster and will be a essential bartering item.

Uses: curing, preservative, cooking, cleaning, medicinal, tanning hides

Sugar

Life would be so boring without sugar. Much like salt, sugar is also prone to absorbing moisture, but this problem can be eradicated by adding some rice granules into the storage container.

Uses: sweetener for beverages, breads, cakes, preservative, curing, gardening, insecticide (equal parts of sugar and baking powder will kill cockroaches).

Wheat

Wheat is a major part of the diet for over 1/3 of the world. This popular staple supplies 20% of daily calories to a majority of the world population. Besides being a high carbohydrate food, wheat contains valuable protein, minerals, and vita*mins. Wheat protein, when balanced by other foods that supply certain amino acids such as lysine, is an efficient source of protein. If stored properly, wheat can last a long, long time.

Uses: baking, making alcohol, livestock feed, leavening agent

Dried corn

Essentially, dried corn can be substituted for any recipe that calls for fresh corn. Our ancestors began drying corn because of it’s short lived season. To extend the shelf life of corn, it has to be preserved by drying it out so it can be used later in the year.

Uses: soups, cornmeal, livestock feed, hominy and grits, heating source (do a search for corn burning fireplaces).

Baking soda

This multi-purpose prep is a must have for long term storage.

Uses: teeth cleaner, household cleaner, dish cleaner, laundry detergent booster, leavening agent for baked goods, tarnish remover

Instant coffee, tea, and cocoa

Adding these to your long term storage will not only add a variety to just drinking water, but will also lift morale. Instant coffee is high vacuum freeze dried. So, as long as it is not introduced to moisture, then it will last. Storage life for all teas and cocoas can be extended by using desiccant packets or oxygen absorbing packets, and by repackaging the items with a vacuum sealing.

Uses: beverages, flavor additions to baked goods

Non-carbonated soft drinks

Although many of us prefer carbonated beverages, over time the sugars break down and the drink flavor is altered. Non-carbonated beverages stand a longer test of time. And, as long as the bottles are stored in optimum conditions, they will last. Non-carbonated beverages include: vitamin water, Gatorade, juices, bottled water.

Uses: beverages, flavor additions to baked goods

White rice

White rice is a major staple item that preppers like to put away because it’s a great source for calories, cheap and has a long shelf life. If properly stored this popular food staple can last 30 years or more.

Uses: breakfast meal, addition to soups, side dishes, alternative to wheat flour

Bouillon products

Because bouillon products contain large amounts of salt, the product is preserved. However, over time, the taste of the bouillon could be altered. If storing bouillon cubes, it would be best repackage them using a food sealer or sealed in mylar bags.

Uses: flavoring dishes

Powdered milk – in nitrogen packed cans

Powdered milk can last indefinitely, however, it is advised to prolong it’s shelf life by either repackaging it for longer term storage, or placing it in the freezer. If the powdered milk develops an odor or has turned a yellowish tint, it’s time to discard.

Uses: beverage, dessert, ingredient for certain breads, addition to soup and baked goods.

ARE YOU PREPPED? Check out these preparation calculators provided by Ready Nutrition: Essential Prepping Calculators | Ready Nutrition

The laws and rules are for the serfs, not the corporate fascist elite.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
BizzyB
BucketHunter

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

BizzyB is on a distinguished road

To expand upon the non-carbonated beverage category, Gatorade and similar electrolyte+sucrose sports drink mixes are excellent items to have for first aid and home-pharmacy purposes. Fluid and electrolyte replenishment is critical for cases of diarrhea (of which there are many, many causes), viruses, heat injuries, etc. Good stuff to have around.

The first rule of Prep Club is you do not talk about Prep Club.
The second rule of Prep Club is you DO NOT talk about Prep Club.

OPSEC

Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
worldengineer

Liked 52 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 9

worldengineer is on a distinguished road

To expand on BizzyB, all powdered drink mixes that can be stored are a useful and tasty to add to water. To escape boring water every day.

I would also add Pepper to the list, a very tasty and it has a spicy flavor.
Use aluminum cans to store beverages, as plastic containers are porous and will absorb flavors and smells if left to their on.

Pickling packets would also be a good prep.

you can survive, but its more fun to live, theirs no need to rough it!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 4976 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 11920

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldengineer View Post
I would also add Pepper to the list, a very tasty and it has a spicy flavor.
As long as it is stored pepper corns... ground pepper doesn't keep.
Keep a pepper mill or two stored with the pepper corns.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
nkjones1

nkjones1 is on a distinguished road

Just as a correction, i know for a fact that gatorade goes bad. don't know why or how long it takes but it separates and if you drink it it will make you sick. Happened to about 20 guys I served with in Iraq. You'd probably be better off buying the gatorade powder to mix with water. It'd store better anyway. Hope this helps.

"Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
sailaway
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 287 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 384

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently eating a plastic jar of Kroger peanut butter that is 2 years beyond its shelf life, still tastes good. The jar is a little crunchy & chewy though.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 4976 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 11920

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjones1 View Post
You'd probably be better off buying the gatorade powder to mix with water. It'd store better anyway.
The powder cakes up a bit and gets hard, and gets darker in color (oxidizes?)
....But I doubt that will ruin it. If you can vac pack some in mylar bags, it would probably last forever.
Will make weird water taste better, too.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
TrackerRat

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

TrackerRat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjones1 View Post
Just as a correction, i know for a fact that gatorade goes bad. don't know why or how long it takes but it separates and if you drink it it will make you sick. Happened to about 20 guys I served with in Iraq. You'd probably be better off buying the gatorade powder to mix with water. It'd store better anyway. Hope this helps.

could that be because it was stored in heat and/or direct sunlight?

"Its not what your government can do for you, its what we can do for each other" TrackerRat

Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
azurevirus

azurevirus is on a distinguished road

I drink alot of Minute Made lemonade in the cans...wonder how that would do

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Ezmerelda

Liked 311 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Ezmerelda is on a distinguished road

Speaking of baking soda...

Can heat degrade baking soda to the point that it is no longer useful for cooking?

I have been purchasing the Large bags from Sam's since last fall and need to know if I need to move it out of the attic now that the weather is warming up.

Quick Reply