You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Energy & Electricity >

Oil lanterns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Liked 16035 Times on 2773 Posts
Likes Given: 2882

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bob.

Well, I guess I'll have some spares.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3585 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1905

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

I would say that you would want one per expected adult in the house and have a couple of spares ready to use. You might wish to setup mounts in the "major rooms" to "display" the pretty lights that you have purchased and give them a run-down a couple times a year just to make sure that everything is good on them.

Currently, my hurricane oil lanterns are on a shelf in the basement with a couple bottles of "pretty smelling" lamp-oil ready to pour into the reservoir (tank). I also have about 16 liters (4 gallons I believe it is) of canola oil ready to be either cooked with (deep-fry, pancakes, etc) or used in the lanterns.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Liked 16035 Times on 2773 Posts
Likes Given: 2882

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

I bought 20 lamps, 12 hanging brackets, 33' of extra wick and 4 spare colored globes (amber, green, red and blue). Plenty of kero at the ready.

I don't think Mrs. Zoom will go with hanging them for decoration as she's been working on making the house a bit more contemporary. I'll store some in one of my buildings and others at my BOL.

Oh, the colored globes will probably be incorporated into some threat level assessment plan and lit outdoors to advise those around the area how things are looking.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
pioneergirl

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

pioneergirl is on a distinguished road

I'd like to have a few, but it seems the ones at auction go for a mint, and the ones made more currently seem cheap. I'll keep looking....I'd like to have a couple for reading, and a couple more to carry around to different parts of the house, i.e. laundry room, basement, etc.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3585 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1905

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

I purchased some of mine at Army-n-Navy here in Calgary and the lamp-oil I can get from CanadianTire. The cost of the lanterns wasn't really all that expensive (or so I think) and they seem to work well enough.

I just did a quick eBay hit for huricane lantern and came up with some gems - including one for about $10 that is all brass, has been "in the family" for decades and has a stamp that it was made in Wales. As a collectable, it would be sweet to have.

But - function is where things are at and I found a super-cheap large huricane lantern listed for under $6. Here is the link to the eBay auction so that you can peak at it. Hope the link works for you.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
SnakeDoc

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

SnakeDoc is on a distinguished road

Lamps will save your tail when you need them.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 AM   #17
Wiswash

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wiswash is on a distinguished road

This is a link to kirkmans lantern store. They sell Dietz and they make their own version of Dietz that may be of better quality than Dietz. Check out the Kirkman #2 Champion. Some prices seem reasonable enough and there is LOTS to choose from.

W.T. Kirkman Oil and Electric Lanterns

Last edited by NaeKid; 09-01-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Moderator: Approved post

Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
jenico

jenico is on a distinguished road

WOW! I am so jealous of your lot of oil lamps. I only have 10 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbob View Post
I have Dietz and a few generic storm lamps, they both seem to work similar. I have an old Dietz that has been outside for years, and still works great.
Buy some pure paraffin lamp oil, it will not smoke like the K1 kerosene for lamps and heaters. I use it in our Aladdin oil lamps. Granted it is expensive but worth every penny when your house is shut up. I get it from a friend that supplies the churches for use in their alter wax-less candles.
I like the regular oil lamps for indoors, the Dietz are made basically for outdoors, wind resistant, tougher glass globe.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #19
nj_m715
www.veggear.blogspot.com

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

nj_m715 is on a distinguished road

I've been wasting time checking at flee markets for a couple more, then I found a few different sizes right on the shelf at walmart. They were priced right too. 8$-15$ depending on which size.

They "felt" a bit light weight or cheap, but let's face it they're not really going to get abused. They just sit there on the shelf.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #20
bradthebard
I've run a shovel b'fore

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bradthebard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj_m715 View Post
I've been wasting time checking at flee markets for a couple more, then I found a few different sizes right on the shelf at walmart. They were priced right too. 8$-15$ depending on which size.

They "felt" a bit light weight or cheap, but let's face it they're not really going to get abused. They just sit there on the shelf.
I used a couple of those cheap Wal-Mart lamps for five years out at my cabin. When I was living in a tent I read and bathed by them. After we moved in the sporatic electricity (every storm knocked it out it seemed) made them a really handy thing to have.

Run parrafin oil through them and they burn white and don't stink. I tried K-1 and I smelled like a refinery every day. Didn't bother me much as I was used to it but the clerks at the store sure looked at me funny..

Wisdom is not found in thinking outside the box. Wisdom is the realization that there is no box
-me

The tale of my impoverishment

Tags
lamp fuel, lamp oil, oil lamps, oil laterns

Quick Reply