Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Energy & Electricity > Oil lanterns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
truthfulwon

truthfulwon is on a distinguished road
Default Oil lanterns

I have a few oil lanterns and I lite it indoors. But the smell is very strong. Now I read somewhere that you can use olive oil and burn that. I haven't tried that yet. But thinking about trying that asap. Has anyone tried using the olive oil? The lamp oil fumes are very strong. I figure I would have to leave a window partially cracked. Our power hasn't went out any, where I have had to use the lamp oil. So was giving it a dry run.

In reading 100 things that go first I notice they said No.76 Dietz" Lanterns. Is there a reason why they seem to recommend Dietz? I don't have that brand. But am thinking about getting that brand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
horseman09

Liked 208 Times on 123 Posts

horseman09 is on a distinguished road

I haven't tried olive oil, but if you have a quality lamp and the wick is trimmed and adjusted properly, it shouldn't be smelly. Hmm. Is your fuel fresh? Try using white kero -- the kind used in kerosene heaters.

Olive oil is an interesting thought, tho. I'll have to try that.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 254 Times on 126 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthfulwon View Post
I have a few oil lanterns and I lite it indoors. But the smell is very strong. Now I read somewhere that you can use olive oil and burn that. I haven't tried that yet. But thinking about trying that asap. Has anyone tried using the olive oil? The lamp oil fumes are very strong. I figure I would have to leave a window partially cracked. Our power hasn't went out any, where I have had to use the lamp oil. So was giving it a dry run.

In reading 100 things that go first I notice they said No.76 Dietz" Lanterns. Is there a reason why they seem to recommend Dietz? I don't have that brand. But am thinking about getting that brand.
I have Dietz and a few generic storm lamps, they both seem to work similar. I have an old Dietz that has been outside for years, and still works great.
Buy some pure paraffin lamp oil, it will not smoke like the K1 kerosene for lamps and heaters. I use it in our Aladdin oil lamps. Granted it is expensive but worth every penny when your house is shut up. I get it from a friend that supplies the churches for use in their alter wax-less candles.
I like the regular oil lamps for indoors, the Dietz are made basically for outdoors, wind resistant, tougher glass globe.
img_0267.jpg  

img_0525.jpg  

img_0528.jpg  

img_0527.jpg  

Old 05-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1600

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

I also have a few of the hurricane lanterns and a few of the old chimney lanterns like Bob shows there.

I have also used "dead" canola oil. Instead of throwing away the oil after using it in my deep-fryer, I put the oil back into the original containers and reuse several times (filtering each time). After a while the oil will go rancid, at that time, it becomes lamp-oil (or fire-pit oil).

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4350 Times on 1746 Posts
Likes Given: 2316

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Never thought of used fryer oil.
And I really should have since I've been running used motor oil through a paint strainer for almost 10 yrs to use as bar oil for my chainsaws.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Jason
I am a little teapot

Liked 812 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Jason is on a distinguished road

Joe-I bought a bunch of Tractor Supply Co brand bar and chain oil last fall when it was on sale. As you know I cut a whole mess of wood, mainly over Winter, and I couldn't use the bar oil a lot this winter because it got too thick. I didn't want to play with thinning the oil with kerosene or anything so I ended up using new motor oil. It's some goofy viscosity synthetic stuff that FIL got cheap at a yard sale and we'd have no other use for anyway so it's just used for lubeing chains on farm equipment and like I said, in the saw.

Point is, I'm always afraid to try the filtered used oil because I don't want to damage my saw. You make your living with a chainsaw so I'm sure if it works for you it'd work for me. All you do is make sure it's filtered and it's good to go? Do you prefer thinner or thicker oils, or do you just use whatever you have available?

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of gas, electricity, and oil, as well as current market conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
kyfarmer

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

kyfarmer is on a distinguished road

I strain the car or truck oil twice with paint filters, use it in the lawnmowers push and riding. Haven't had an issue ever using it for 15 years or so. Yep i use it for bar oil to. I have also one 5 gal and another half full of old fryer oil. Good fire pit started and have tried it in an oil lamp, does not smell the best but works great. A friend jokingly said to spice the stinky oil up, so i did. I put 4 drops of orange oil extract in it and after lighting ya would not believe the smell, smelled like christmas. Try it it works. O, i know ya put those pictures of those old wore out lamps on here to tease me, they look broken and need a home, ya can send them to me at...

Last edited by kyfarmer; 05-31-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4350 Times on 1746 Posts
Likes Given: 2316

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Jason, I have several diesel engines so I buy 15w-40 in 55 gallon drums and use it in all our vehicles. Yes, I just run it through a paint strainer into gallon jugs. It does turn the bar and the front casing of the saw black over time but with bar oil at $6-$7 a gallon, I can live with that.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
ZoomZoom
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 5276 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 828

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

Bump,

What would you say is an adequate number of lanterns to have to provide lighting in the areas you're in (number of lanterns per room)?

EDIT TO ADD: I ordered the model 76 if they vary on light output based on model.

Last edited by ZoomZoom; 06-09-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 254 Times on 126 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
Bump,

What would you say is an adequate number of lanterns to have to provide lighting in the areas you're in (number of lanterns per room)?

EDIT TO ADD: I ordered the model 76 if they vary on light output based on model.
That would come down to what purpose the lanterns are used for, the Aladdin lamps are still used today by the Amish, and a lot of third world countries do to their brightness. They put out as many lumen's as a 100watt light bulb and are good for reading. If you are using them for just illumination 1 would be sufficient, even a regular oil lamp would suffice for that purpose.

Tags
lamp fuel, lamp oil, oil lamps, oil laterns

Quick Reply