You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Energy & Electricity >

Hendershot generator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Johnned

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Johnned is on a distinguished road

Just spent 2 hours checking this out. Glad I did. Obviously too good to be true.
As non-scientific person I checked out pointers from the video presentation, namely:- Tesla, Hendershot and Selfridge Field Experiment via Wikipedia, and apart from Tesla being bona fide there is no Hendershot, and Lindburghs flight across Atlantic, which is used by the scammers to prove the concept, details the normally expected amount of gasolene in his airoplane suitable for the crossing. Guys keep well away from this scam!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #22
ideaman89

ideaman89 is on a distinguished road

Actually This is not hard to immagine being able to work. Have any of you watched or listened to the Video that they have about it?

If ANY of you know ANYTHING about electricity, it is generated on the basis of a magnetic field. Creating a device that uses the Earths magnetic field to generate electricity seems logical.

Tesla was working on inventions using the same principals. The problem is, that the Energy companies don't make any money if you create your own energy, so they try to make it seem like it won't work, or just plain get rid of the inventor.

I am sure you would be able to find the plans on some site for free. As for not enough power to do much, The video says it's scaleable so you can make a larger version of it by doubling or tripling the components, so if you build one big enough, you could power your entire house off of it.

AND even if it did take several weeks or months to build and/or tune this device, if it works, then the time spent would be worth it to me. because this thing would be generating electricity for the rest of your life!!! So bye bye high electric bills forever!!!

I am not saying that this device is real or does work, just that the idea and the explination of how this would work seems plausable.

Last edited by ideaman89; 02-22-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: new info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #23
swjohnsey
ExCommunicated

Liked 414 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 109

swjohnsey is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get one working let us know.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
labotomi

Liked 1234 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 219

labotomi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideaman89 View Post
Actually This is not hard to immagine being able to work. Have any of you watched or listened to the Video that they have about it?
Yes.

Quote:
If ANY of you know ANYTHING about electricity, it is generated on the basis of a magnetic field. Creating a device that uses the Earths magnetic field to generate electricity seems logical.
Does my EE and 20+ years in the field count?

Quote:
Tesla was working on inventions using the same principals. The problem is, that the Energy companies don't make any money if you create your own energy, so they try to make it seem like it won't work, or just plain get rid of the inventor.
The problem is physics.

Quote:
I am sure you would be able to find the plans on some site for free. As for not enough power to do much, The video says it's scaleable so you can make a larger version of it by doubling or tripling the components, so if you build one big enough, you could power your entire house off of it.
So what's stopping you?

Quote:
AND even if it did take several weeks or months to build and/or tune this device, if it works, then the time spent would be worth it to me. because this thing would be generating electricity for the rest of your life!!! So bye bye high electric bills forever!!!
What are you doing posting on a board? Shouldn't you already be building one of these?

Quote:
I am not saying that this device is real or does work, just that the idea and the explination of how this would work seems plausable.
Now you're hedging your bets.

Why does everyone seem to think it's possible and that someone else should give it a try? I'm all for someone building one, but it's not going to be me because I'm certain of the outcome.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Mercalyn

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mercalyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If ANY of you know ANYTHING about electricity, it is generated on the basis of a magnetic field.
Actually, voltage can be generated without a magnetic field too. In order to generate voltage from a magnetic field, it has to actively be moving(cutting) across the field. Doesn't the earth's magnetic field sit still? Even if it moved enough to generate anything, it would be very miniscule; which brings me to the next point:

Quote:
As for not enough power to do much, The video says it's scaleable...
It doesn't matter that it's scaleable if it only generates power in the nano-Watts. You can get "free" energy from catching drifting radio waves too, but it isn't enough to do anything with. The generator claims to generate 300W, which seems too good to be true.

It's like how earth is being pulled by Proxima Centauri's gravitational field. I'm sure it's extremely strong, but this far away--it doesn't do anything worth calculating.

EDIT:
My father is forking the bill for me to build one for him. He doesn't care if it doesn't work(but I get a nice one-sided wager if it succeeds), so I have the incentive to make it work, but the aptitude to know that it probably won't. We'll see how it goes. My only problem with the instructions so far, is how imprecise it all is. There are dimensions missing all over the place, and parts of the instructions were obviously out-of-context. They tell you to drill a 3mm hole, whose purpose is later is to draw a perfect circle with. There is a tool called a compass, worth about $5 at your local store.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #26
labotomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalyn View Post
Actually, voltage can be generated without a magnetic field too.
Yes, friction, chemical reactions, piezoelectric crystal compression, photoelectric effect (Solar), Seebeck effect (temperature... think thermocouples) are all types of generating electricity, but the only one effective in generating significant usable power is movement between conductors and a magenetic field.
Quote:
In order to generate voltage from a magnetic field, it has to actively be moving(cutting) across the field. Doesn't the earth's magnetic field sit still? Even if it moved enough to generate anything, it would be very miniscule;
Precisely. Hence my earlier post giving the gauss rating of the Earth's magnetic field measured at the surface of the earth. It's enough to move a magnet. Try putting something metal inside an old generator with a stationary field/rotating armature. You won't hold it for long. We have an electromagnetic brake used to reduce "waves" in liquid steel. The gauss rating of that is about 2500-3500 and used around 200-300 DC amps. You'll only notice it if put your steel toed boot on it and occasionally it will reset the time on an analog watch (this is annoying)

Quote:
which brings me to the next point:

It doesn't matter that it's scaleable if it only generates power in the nano-Watts. You can get "free" energy from catching drifting radio waves too, but it isn't enough to do anything with. The generator claims to generate 300W, which seems too good to be true.

It's like how earth is being pulled by Proxima Centauri's gravitational field. I'm sure it's extremely strong, but this far away--it doesn't do anything worth calculating.
Good example as both gravity and electromagnetism are effectively limitless with regard to distance meaning the gravity of the earth pulls on EVERY other body in the universe no matter the distance. But the strength falls inversely with the square of the distance. That means it fall quickly to virtually non existance in a very short distance. This is the same with electromagnetism. It's effect can be strong at the source and even though it affects every other magnetic field, the effect is so slight as to not be a factor.

As an aside, that electromagnetic force vs the strong nuclear force determines whether an element is radioactive or stable. The electromagnetic force effects are felt regardless of distance while the nuclear force of attraction is only felt for a finite distance (femtometers). Even though the nuclear force is 100x stronger, it eventually is less than the cumulative electromagnetic repulsion force of the protons in the larger atomic nuclei (transuranic).
[/geek mode]

Quote:
EDIT:
My father is forking the bill for me to build one for him. He doesn't care if it doesn't work(but I get a nice one-sided wager if it succeeds), so I have the incentive to make it work, but the aptitude to know that it probably won't. We'll see how it goes. My only problem with the instructions so far, is how imprecise it all is. There are dimensions missing all over the place, and parts of the instructions were obviously out-of-context. They tell you to drill a 3mm hole, whose purpose is later is to draw a perfect circle with. There is a tool called a compass, worth about $5 at your local store.
Seriously, if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I would love to see exactly what this thing is supposed to do and why it will not achieve it's goals.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #27
labotomi

I'd like to give others something to ponder concerning generators (and motors)
I apologize in advance if this seems too technical. It's the easiest way I've ever seen it explained and is the same info that's in the basic electricity manuals I've read.

3 things are required to generate electricity.

1. A magnetic field
  2. An electrical conductor
  3. Relative motion between the previous two items

The relative motion means you have to be moving the magnetic field or the conductor in a way that the conductor crosses the magnetic field along the perpendicular plane.

Three things needed for a motor to operate.
  1. A magnetic field
  2. A conductor
  3. Current flow in the conductor

Now back to generators. When you are generating electricity, you are inducing a voltage and producing current which is flowing through the conductors in the generator. You already have a magnetic field because that's needed to have a generator in the first place.
Now you have
  1. A magnetic field
  2. A conductor
  3. Current flow in the conductor
This list is the same as that required to operate a motor.

Guess what... You have a generator that's also acting as a motor

But sadly, if you do the calculations or take the easier route and use right hand rules or left hand rules (depending upon whether you think electricity flows from + to - or from - to +), you'll find out that the motor is operating to produce torque in the opposite direction that the generator is turning. This means the very act of generating electricity produces resistance to the tubine/windmill/hand crank or whatever else you have used to turn the generator.

Remember the experiment where you can turn a hand held generator easily when the circuit is open and then someone turns on a light switch and the generator becomes more difficult to turn? Then more and more lights are turned on until it becomes almost impossible to keep them brightly lit. This is because you're working against the motor that you created.

This is the biggest reason I think that no matter what someone comes up with, unless they can eliminate "motor action in a generator", the entire generation process is starting in the hole to begin with.

Please people, if you really want to get a quick and dirty basic education on electricity including generators, motors, electronics and even progress to waveforming, look at the NEETS modules (Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Manuals). They're free and can be found all over the internet. Some sites ask you to pay for them. Avoid these, they don't own the rights to them so they're just scamming people.

They start really basic with the structure of an atom, what causes magnetism and other things that seem simple, but much of it is actually important to understand for the later lessons.

And for those with higher levels of education than the NEETS modules provide... Don't nitpick. I know some of the information isn't "technically" correct, but for 99.99% of the public, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #28
tomtrt

tomtrt is on a distinguished road

I was looking for something else yesterday and came across an ad for this gadget on a site. I clicked on the ad just to see what it was about. I am skeptical about any product that has to have a long introductory video story before they give you any other information. But I listened any way. An eyebrow was raised when the video mentioned the use of kerosene instead of gasoline to power the airplane.

I didn't buy the product but did acquire it. Took about five minutes to do that. I scanned the pdf file briefly but did wathch the video file. I too wondered why not to use a protractor when drawing out the circles. More important than that, it doesn't explain the significants of drilling 57 holes around the circumference of each. 60 holes would be easier, why 57?

I dabled in electronics when I was a kid. I am not claiming to be an expert on any of this. There are no moving parts in this generator. What it looks to me is you have to large capacitors each sitting inside a large induction coil. These are hooked up to two more can capacitors which is then fed through a doorbell type transformer. The output of the transformer lights several light bulbs. Although if you stop the video and trace the wiring you can not see a direct connection to the light bulb array. The wires go in behind the board.

You can go to google images and find the schematics, here is one
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.svensons.com/Energy/hendershot_files/hendershot.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.svensons.com/Energy/hendershot.html&h=395&w=643&sz=14&tbnid=TwsYqnm_3V vyRM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=116&zoom=1&usg=__3n1v0qR7ypVBhU DpAaKJ7LIyeKA=&docid=vFobievz8Q28LM&hl=en&sa=X&ei= HGspUZOVGZG69gSysYGQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQ9QEwCA&dur=4 64

Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
k0xxx
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1130 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 590

k0xxx is on a distinguished road

This discussion reminds me of an acquaintance that swears the government is using HAARP to control the weather, induce earthquakes, cause volcanoes to erupt, and and general do other dirty deeds around the earth. The physics mean nothing to him, and he just has this "Don't try to confuse me with facts" kind of attitude.

All great frauds and urban legends take a small kernel of truth, and them embellish on it. The Hendershot "Generator" is no different.

At my age, rolling out of bed in the morning is easy... Getting up off the floor is another story.

People Like This 
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
Mercalyn

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mercalyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by labotomi View Post
Seriously, if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I would love to see exactly what this thing is supposed to do and why it will not achieve it's goals.
Thank you. It's safe to say as science-type people we all generally agree on the same principles. The general public have the hardest time understanding that power comes from the difference in two mediums, not just an "energy field," e.g. You cannot "extract" energy from the magnetic field. It just doesn't work that way !

I've got a multimeter, as an EE I'm sure you're interested to know all the inputs/outputs in voltage/amps eh?

Quick Reply