You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Energy & Electricity >

Hendershot generator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
jbrowneng

jbrowneng is on a distinguished road

Anytime I hear the word "perpetual" I get the willies. My boss brought this to my attention and said he would spring for the materials and cost if I wanted to put it together.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
talob

Liked 350 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 332

talob is on a distinguished road

If he is footing the bill would be an interesting experiment, but at the same time if their that naive in good conscience I'd have to warn them they could very well be throwing their money away.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
yzdeaner

yzdeaner is on a distinguished road

No one is claiming the Henershot Generator creates energy. Rather it is the converting the earth's magnetic energy field to electrical energy just as solar panels convert the sun's energy and wind turbines convert the wind's energy. Naturally, along the way there will be some loss of energy in the conversion.
The question is, has anyone actually built the damn thing and does it work? Wouldn't the amount of wattage converted depend on the power gauss rating of the magnets used? So the claim of needing numerous generators is a false issue. Just my two cents.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
Trip286

Liked 100 Times on 49 Posts

Trip286 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a Sterling engine would be a better alternative. You can run a small classroom demonstration model off the body heat from the palm of your hand.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
Tomarchi0

Tomarchi0 is on a distinguished road

I'm a little bemused by the rhetoric, The biggest magnet on earth is earth, when those magnetic lines are cut, electricity is the result

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #16
labotomi

Liked 1234 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 219

labotomi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomarchi0 View Post
I'm a little bemused by the rhetoric, The biggest magnet on earth is earth, when those magnetic lines are cut, electricity is the result
When I push on a mountain, I move the mountain. While factually accurate, the actual motion is too little to be considered significant.
You might as well say a car traveling east or west will generate electricity since it's factually accurate. That doesn't mean the energy is useful as it's too small to be utilized.

It is a big magnet... however the electricity generating strength is very, very, very weak (gauss rating) So weak that a refrigerator magnet has twice the magnetic strength as the core of the Earth and over 75 times the strength of the Earths magnetic field at the surface.
The rate that the field strength falls with respect to distance makes the Earths magnetic field the stronger of the two since it covers an area several times the size of the earth and a refrigerator magnet fall to insignificance within inches, but that's not the relevant part of generating electricity.

Since induced voltage is proportional to
  • Magnetic field strength (the Earth's is tiny)
  • Number of conductors in the generator
  • Relative speed between the conductors and magnetic field

There would need to be an incredible amount of conductors or rotating at unobtainable speeds to generate "useful" voltage. If the strength of the Earths magnetic field were strong enough to provide generators with a useful field, you'd have many more problems. All the ferrous metals would tend to migrate over time to the poles in addition to aligning in a north-south direction. The older CRT screens would never have worked and you would lose data on hard drives randomly and frequently if it could be written to begin with.

In addition to all the above, look into counter-torque or motor action in a generator and you'll see that right off the bat you're working against the very thing that propels the device. This is the main reason that no generator can be self powered. They all have to have more energy going in that can be taken out.

Please let me know what portion of my rhetoric bemuses you and I'll be glad to address it further.
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
torrero

torrero is on a distinguished road

No one here has said that they have tried this, only that they debunk this..
The question was ..
Has anyone ever ponied up the $ and tried this to see if it works.
Sounds plausible to me as I know there is a magnetic field in the earth, and there is a pulse flux in the Earth, if the Earth is a giant magnet spinning on it's poles..
We know you guys here say it won't work... the question is have you spent the money and tried it !!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Liked 16205 Times on 2801 Posts
Likes Given: 2920

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrero View Post
The question was ..
Sounds plausible to me as I know there is a magnetic field in the earth, and there is a pulse flux in the Earth, if the Earth is a giant magnet spinning on it's poles..
We know you guys here say it won't work... the question is have you spent the money and tried it !!
I had a very well educated scientific business partner look at it. It's not real.

How about you pony up the $ and let us know...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
cnsper
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 3328 Times on 1104 Posts
Likes Given: 2228

cnsper is on a distinguished road

When things say it will defy the laws of physics then I pass. I have seen ads for this and other crap with that claim. Sorry, you are not going to do that and they did not do it over 100 years ago either.

Tessla must be spinning in his grave for what people are doing with his name.

**When government expands, liberty contracts - Ronald Regan
**If ignorance were gun powder, you would be a weapon of mass destruction.
**Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

crabapple Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
labotomi

Liked 1234 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 219

labotomi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No one ANYWHERE has said that they have tried this.
Anyone that has bought this and tried it would be too embarrassed to admit it.

Quote:
The question was ..
I addressed the "plausibility" reasoning you state in the post right above yours.

If you get the chance to build one:
In a vacuum
using friction-less surfaces
with superconductors
and
Somehow eliminate the innate characteristic of ALL generators to oppose the force that moves them (because in effect they become an opposing motor)

You might be able to design around the field strength, number of conductors and relative speed issues. Until then you'll just be wasting your money.

Quick Reply