Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Energy & Electricity > 12 volt battery wireing for lights??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
outsidergr8

outsidergr8 is on a distinguished road
Default 12 volt battery wireing for lights??

I know i can use a car battery and head light,direct connection but is this safe? Would like to have for camp site or on hand for any time i need light and have no power. Not sure how to wire it?.And would the battery last longer useing say tail light bulbs??? CAN any one help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 236 Times on 114 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidergr8 View Post
I know i can use a car battery and head light,direct connection but is this safe? Would like to have for camp site or on hand for any time i need light and have no power. Not sure how to wire it?.And would the battery last longer useing say tail light bulbs??? CAN any one help.
Pretty safe to hook up a small 12v dc lamp to the battery, can't really damage the lamp by reverse polarity, ie. wires hooked up on wrong side of battery. You can find 12v dc shop lamps at most auto stores, these have large clips or clamps on the ends to hook up to a auto battery. Watch out for tail lights they tend to be very hot when operating, will burn you skin.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
horseman09

Liked 202 Times on 117 Posts

horseman09 is on a distinguished road

Depending on your application, you might want to consider LEDs. More expensive, but a far lower power demand. Your battery will last longer.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
ZoomZoom
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 2470 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 445

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

The advise given so far is sound. You can't mess up much with 12V in terms of wiring and LED's are much more efficient.

I do wonder your intent though. If you're talking about a campsite, no power... are you thinking of wiring in your car battery instead of having a flashlight or lamp at the ready? That doesn't make sense to me. OK, you use up your car battery on headlights to light up your camp. How are you going to get home when your car battery is dead?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 2417 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 2931

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

led's must be hooked up with correct polarity or they'll burn out instantly.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
Tirediron
RockyMountainCanadian
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 851 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Tirediron will become famous soon enoughTirediron will become famous soon enough

Good advice so far, a couple of things to consider, car / truck batteries are designed for a deep hard load , then an imediate recharge, rv / deepcycle batteries can handle a longer discharge etc, I would also recommend that you put an Ato type plug in fuse/ holder in the curcuit leds are getting cheaper and are tougher and last well, add to these components a solar panel and your lit

Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2064 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

If I might make a suggestion as well. Purchase a battery-box from an RV store and modify it with wing-nut battery connectors and a couple of 12-volt power-ports, and, while you are at it, throw on some solar-power connections as well to charge up the battery.

Place a gel-cell battery into that box. Optima makes a great model, Sears has one and so on. Look for the words spiral-core-technology and make sure that the battery can be layed down on its side without leaking.

Now, when you are putting it all together, make sure that you use nothing less than 10g multi-strand wire and fuse every single connection.

You can see web-found pictures below of what I used to do it (I can take a picture of my box in "action" when I get home).

An alternate to that would be to purchase a ready-made battery-box with the connections on it from places like BassProShops - I saw one there about two years after I made my own ... you can find it as item# 38-510-442-00

File Type: jpg 167801_lg.jpg (16.4 KB, 1132 views)
File Type: jpg 0000-Moose-Racing-Power-Ports.jpg (84.1 KB, 1095 views)

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
ZoomZoom
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 2470 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 445

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

I run a battery box as well.

In my setup, there's a deep-cycle marine battery in the box.
On top of the box is an inverter. In the one pictured below, it's a 1200w.
I use a luggage strap to hold it together.
In the one pictured, I have a couple shop lights with CFL's installed. I just flick the power switch on the inverter and I have lights.

File Type: jpg battery.jpg (17.3 KB, 1187 views)

Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
nj_m715
www.veggear.blogspot.com

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

nj_m715 is on a distinguished road

I have a couple articles about adding an extra battery to a vehicle so you can run down the spare battery but still start your vehicle. I also have info about small solar chargers and home made 12 volt generators. I have used an inverter with jumper cables to run my lights and tv during extended power failures. I can also run my fridge or sump pump, but I need to switch between the high load items, because my inverter was only a mid sized unit.

As stated already leds are the way to go. they use a fraction of the power that a standard bulb uses. If funds are tight you can get a standard looking 12v light bulb that fits normal sockets. Of course the sockets must be wired to a 12v source.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
outsidergr8

outsidergr8 is on a distinguished road

Hello every one,and thanx for the info. My camp site is a walk in abt 1/4 mile so i would be walkin anyway (dead battery) and i dont have a problem with luggin it in or out. I want this for extra light when i need or want it. The plan is to have it set up as a over head light not to be used all the time. When i have the extra $$ a deep cycle battery i will have.and LEDs sounds like the way to go. For now i think the car battery and 12 volt bulbs will work. In the future i would like a solar system just for this purpouse. again thanx to you all and im always open for advice or ideas

Tags
alternative energy

Quick Reply