Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Hunting & Fishing > What's the best combo rifle/shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
bahramthered

Liked 133 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 82

bahramthered is on a distinguished road
Default What's the best combo rifle/shotgun?

What's the best combo rifle/shotgun?

And where the heck do I find it.

If bad things happen I don't want to carry multiple guns.

I was just thinking on this and remembered I use to have a neighbor who had one of these guns. I was just a kid. I know I need to learn guns better, but I don't want to buy lots just to figure out what I need.

I have a lot of questions like; Can these things handle higher caliber rounds or are they just good for smaller rounds?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Jezcruzen

Liked 188 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Jezcruzen is on a distinguished road

The Finnish-made Valmet may be what you are seeking. Very high quality, but no longer produced. I see them at gun shows periodically. I had one once. It was a 12 ga. over 30.06 topped with a Leupold 2X7 compact scope. I killed both deer and turkeys with it. I also had a set of 12 ga. shotgun barrels for it and used it rabbit hunting.

Savage produced their Savage 24 in various caliber/gauge combinations. Cheaper and more spartan than the Valmets, but they are no longer produced, either. One in good condition demands a premium.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
ms_a2gwus

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ms_a2gwus is on a distinguished road

I'm not that familiar with weapons, but I've heard of a Franchi SPAS-12. Maybe more experienced members might be aware of this, it's pros and cons, and if it's available?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
bahramthered

The Franchi SPAS-12 is a combat shotgun, not a combination gun.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
ms_a2gwus

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ms_a2gwus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahramthered View Post
The Franchi SPAS-12 is a combat shotgun, not a combination gun.
Thank you! I learned something new today! What about the Rossi Circuit Judge for small game?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
DKRinAK
As smart as

Liked 138 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DKRinAK is on a distinguished road
Default H&R

Harrington and Richardson (now owned by Marlin) make several shotgun/rifle packages.

You can buy a 12 ga/308 combo or make up your own. I ordered a 308 bull barrel with a 223 bull barrel - both with factory rails. Both were hand fitted and they both shoot very well.

Rossi makes a copy of these as well.

Savage made a 24 series, with variations of 12, 20 and 410 bore shotguns and 22lr, 22 winmag and 30-30, 223 and such in a rifle barrel on top of the shotgun barrel.

Both of these weapons systems are single shot.

Is this what you had seen earlier...?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
fedorthedog

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

fedorthedog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezcruzen View Post
The Finnish-made Valmet may be what you are seeking. Very high quality, but no longer produced. I see them at gun shows periodically. I had one once. It was a 12 ga. over 30.06 topped with a Leupold 2X7 compact scope. I killed both deer and turkeys with it. I also had a set of 12 ga. shotgun barrels for it and used it rabbit hunting.

Savage produced their Savage 24 in various caliber/gauge combinations. Cheaper and more spartan than the Valmets, but they are no longer produced, either. One in good condition demands a premium.
The Valmet was imported by savage as the 330 and 333 12 ga. there were combe rifle shotgun barrels available but they are hard to fine now.

The mod 24 is 4-5 hundred at the gun shows.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
kyhoti

Liked 72 Times on 40 Posts

kyhoti is on a distinguished road

This is like asking a carpenter which hammer is the best; remember, a gun is only a tool used to reach out further than your hands. What you want it to do helps determine what constitutes "best". OP said the defining factor is not wanting to deal with a bunch of guns when things go sideways; my question, for clarity, is "What do you hope to accomplish with your tool (the firearm)?"

Hunting? A shotgun can do it, a rifle can sometimes do it better. That's where I see the "combo" fitting. Self defense? A single shot combo is asking for a world of hurt in that eventuality. The Circuit Judge may be a decent compromise, but I wouldn't trust the .410 shells for much beyond snakes or bunnies. A 12 or 20 gauge pump or auto shotgun could cover, but weight and cost of ammo has been a concern for me personally. The upshot is, trying to make one tool do all things is pushing it.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
NorCalSurvivalist

NorCalSurvivalist is on a distinguished road

For rabbits, squirrels and such my savage 24 has been pretty solid. I would carry it with me in a bug out scenario for sure. It's a .22lr over 20 gauge model.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
bahramthered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhoti View Post
This is like asking a carpenter which hammer is the best; remember, a gun is only a tool used to reach out further than your hands. What you want it to do helps determine what constitutes "best". OP said the defining factor is not wanting to deal with a bunch of guns when things go sideways; my question, for clarity, is "What do you hope to accomplish with your tool (the firearm)?"
MY philosophy for just about everything has always been maximize and then optimize. this has made me reconsider a combo gun.

Why I'm here is complex:
Last year taught me I should be at least a little preped.
I like walking and hiking.
Rabbit, squirrel, and grouse taste good. I'd like to try someday for a wild pig. Free Ribs .

I don't have money to by every toy I want so back to my motto. I would like to buy one one gun good for hunting and home defense.

I just didn't know all these guns seem to be single shot. Hard to maximize or optimize that.

Quick Reply