Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Hunting & Fishing > In praise of the "useless" 410

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Magus
Scavenger deluxe

Liked 3038 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Magus is on a distinguished road
Default In praise of the "useless" 410

Hi, I been in here a while, you know I don't post about stuff I don't know, I'm not an armchair ANYTHING!
Today I'm here to fill you in on what the tacticools and ramboids sneer at, the lowly 410 shotgun!'

My first one was a Savage/Stevens, one of the last American made ones.still choked so tight a 40 cal slug won't slip through the bore!using simple dove shot, this cheap little working class pop-gun has killed hundreds of black birds,several egg sucking dogs,5-10- raccoons, more possums than I can count and probably 2-300 squirrels not to mention a tater sack full of snakes.most of my kills were at 75 yards(the blackbirds/dogs)and likewise for the squirrels and rabbits.now listen close, have you ever bit into a deep fried rabbit and had a tooth break out because you missed a hunk of lead?sucks huh?with the 410 you get fine accuracy, small game stopping power, and less lead to deal with after you process it!

Did I mention it won't kick hell out of you?your kids can shoot it all day long and not suffer a beating, so can older or disabled users.

Oh, and 50 rounds weigh as much as 25 rounds of 12 ga..

Now I'm going to say bull sh1t, never mind it's true.I invented the ghost ring sight! I epoxied a small eye ring off an old fishing rod into that slot they expected us to use as a rear sight and never looked back, it'll take dove on the wing out to 50 yards easy!

Now to my "customized" pet.
I call it the "bread fan" it started as a stainless steel snake charmer, I had an old Cherokee gunsmith end choke it and slap on a 22 rifle sight, I can keep my pattern inside a dinner plate at 75 yards!OBVIOUSLY it will NEVER be used with slugs and I've been tempted to add a dot scope.it resides in a pistol holster on my hip, screw the sling.LOL

My ideal hunting 410 would have an 18" barrel, slug/ghost ring sights and a bored stock for 5 rounds of extra ammo,complete with ceramic paint job and camo stock, if it shot well, it would get a holo or dot scope.

P.S
the snake charmer will shoot 45LC rat shot, the Savage will not.think its the internal choke.
Good for snakes in the hen house/on the porch.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Sentry18
Hired Gun
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10265 Times on 3708 Posts
Likes Given: 3983

Sentry18 is on a distinguished road

The .410 is not a bad caliber, it just takes a lot more practice and a lot more precision. Which means the margin for error is much larger. Most people are not willing to put in the time to become proficient with it when you can achieve the same results with say a 12 or 20 in much less time with a smaller margin of error. When I was young my cousin and I would go hunt ducks on a pass. He could drop them all day with a .410 double barrel, but in anyone else's hands it was just a noise maker. My first shotty was a 16ga Ithaca 37. Not only was I lethal with it back then, to this day I can explode clay pigeons at will with that thing. In the end I think it really comes down to preference and practice.

oldvet Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
hiwall
Just walking at the edge of my grave

Liked 2010 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 604

hiwall is on a distinguished road

I'm happy to see that I made you write a thread,Magus!
Maybe I was a little harsh using the word "worthless". The fact is that the 410 pushes the shot out at least as fast(often faster) as larger gauges, so it hits just as hard(or harder). The big problem is the very small shot charge(number of pellets). In the hands of an expert wingshot the 410 can indeed be deadly on critters. But what about people like me? I'm a below average wingshot so larger shot charges help me hit better. With even an expert the bigger shot charge means more humane kills. Yes I've owned several 410's and have killed many different critters with them. The 410 slug at only 88 grains of weight is also a dismal performer. I did shoot my first deer with a 410 slug but I would never suggest anyone hunting deer with one.

Times are tough - keep your powder dry

Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
ricepaddydaddy

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

ricepaddydaddy is on a distinguished road

My .410's are very handy around the farm for varmint contol. I've got a New England Firearms single shot i put a sling on so I can carry it and tools at the same time. In adidtion to a 22 revolver it goes with me when doing chores. i've got a butt cuff on it that holds 9 extra rounds, birdshot and buckshot.
My Stoeger Uplander SXS goes out with me at dusk to put the chickens up for the night, and again when the wife grains the horses and puts 'em up. I keep #6 birdshot in one pipe and OOO buck in the other.
And just for the heck of it (and a great woods walking gun) I've got a Mossberg 183KE two shot bolt action with C-Lect choke. She's a litle gem.
i've got 12's and 20's, but I love my .410's.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division

oldvet Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Magus
Scavenger deluxe

Liked 3038 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Magus is on a distinguished road

I'm hot for the Taurus carbine in 45/410!

Heh, maybe I'm just a shotgun pimp and never knew it?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
ComputerGuy
Retired Air Force

Liked 472 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 261

ComputerGuy is on a distinguished road

We have a Turkish 410 that the wife uses for critters in the back of the land to keep the turkeys and chickens safe

Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Boomy
Archive of Useless Knowledge

Liked 502 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Boomy is on a distinguished road

My dad had a little bolt .410. Surprised the crap out of me when I realized that I could out shoot myself with a12ga. We were chunking clays and I pinged everyone with that little bolt gun. It impressed me!!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
CrazyEric

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

CrazyEric is on a distinguished road

This shows you what a .410 single shot can go through.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
pawpaw

Liked 338 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 378

pawpaw is on a distinguished road

I got one of those Rossi 'combo's - .22/.410. Yeah, I know, but for pure plinking fun & portability, it's a pleasure. Coincidentally Magus, I take the butt-plate off & stuff up to six extras or some fishing line & hooks, etc. in there.
I tried to get a two-man tent in it, but the butt plate was bulged...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
jsriley5
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 986 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 846

jsriley5 is on a distinguished road

I have a spanish Eibar 410 that has killed well over a truck load of rabbits and broke its share of clays, starlings, black birds, feral cats and rats. OH and quail find the 410 to be near ideal for quail. Shame it has to be so ridiculously expensive to shoot. Need to get the loader set up just to use up the reloading supplies and maybe make a few 000 loads for it.

I do think maybe you meant 75 feet though rather than 75 yards thats 3/4 of a football feild and seems a might optomistic to me. I've gotten a few 40 yard shots on rabbits with mine and it is a tightly choked on both barrels. Hardly ever shoot anything but 3 inch 6's in it but have hand loaded some 3 inch 8's when I was playing around shooting clays.

Pessimists are the happiest people. They are either right and prepared, or wrong and pleasantly suprised.

POLITICS: from the Greek Poly; meaning many, and tics; blood sucking parasites.

Quick Reply