Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Hunting & Fishing > Alternative antibiotic for chickens?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
PrepN4Good
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed

Liked 845 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 571

PrepN4Good is on a distinguished road
Default Alternative antibiotic for chickens?

Okay, not sure if this is a chicken-health question or an herbal-remedy question...

An acquaintance forwarded to me an article from Natural News (I think) that recommends giving your chickens "oregano oil extract" rather than antibiotics in their water. (The hatchery I originally used advised a 2 week course of antibiotics before even putting chicks on the ground outside.)

Anyhoo...has anyone ever heard of this, or done it?

To further confuse the issue, I read on another herbal site that Oil of Oregano should NOT be taken internally (for humans, anyway).

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." ~ Princess Leia, A New Hope

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2856 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 3160

*Andi is on a distinguished road

Oregano is very potent antibiotic but I would not give it to my chickens, nor would I give them a 2 week course of antibiotics ... (but that is just me)

I add dry garlic to the feed once a month and I give a little acv in their water at the same time. Other than that I treat a bird when needed.

Squash and pumpkins are natural dewormers, I try to add one or both a few times a month.

Hope this helps ...

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
cowboyhermit
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 2765 Times on 1463 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

cowboyhermit is on a distinguished road

The hatchery we typically deal with is not all that progressive, they really push the vaccines and cornish giants but they had info on how to raise chickens organically. When we used to raise cornish giants we did use antibiotics, sometimes you can get by with an electrolyte mixture to boost their feeble immune system, also much of the feed is medicated as well by default.
Free range poultry with a good balanced diet and a healthy environment/coop should not need antibiotics IMHO.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
PrepN4Good

I was a complete chicken newbie at the time, so just did what the hatchery said to do. This year I'm going to a different hatchery that seems to have a more organic mindset.

*Andi - any reason why you wouldn't give oregano to chickens, if they appeared to need an antibiotic...?

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." ~ Princess Leia, A New Hope

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
lilmissy0740

Liked 253 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 144

lilmissy0740 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepN4Good
Okay, not sure if this is a chicken-health question or an herbal-remedy question...

An acquaintance forwarded to me an article from Natural News (I think) that recommends giving your chickens "oregano oil extract" rather than antibiotics in their water. (The hatchery I originally used advised a 2 week course of antibiotics before even putting chicks on the ground outside.)

Anyhoo...has anyone ever heard of this, or done it?

To further confuse the issue, I read on another herbal site that Oil of Oregano should NOT be taken internally (for humans, anyway).
I also seen that article about the o.oil. I have taken this myself, but have not gave it to my chickens. I dust their food, coops and outside under the tree where they bath with DE. Sometimes I add organic acv to their water, when I remember. I do not give antibiotics to my chickens. My thoughts on that is, why go through all the work for your family to eat healthy and you are giving the animals the same thing they give them when you buy this product in the grocery store.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2856 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 3160

*Andi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepN4Good View Post
*Andi - any reason why you wouldn't give oregano to chickens, if they appeared to need an antibiotic...?
The main reason is because it is a mucous-membrane irritant. (the lining of the digestive, repiratory, reproductive, and urinary tracts and skin)

I've read where people have taken diluted amounts in capsules/tablets but ingesting a drop of it will likey burn your mouth and most will be absorbed there never reaching the digestive tract.

Again ~ this is IMO ...

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
oldvet

Liked 1003 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 5469

oldvet is on a distinguished road

I know this is a serious thread and I do not intend to insult anyone, but I just couldn't help but get a chuckle out of the title "Alternative Antibiotic For Chickens".

Dan

You read, listen, watch, and practice, and just when you think you have it down someone comes up with a better way to do it. So you read, listen, watch, and practice, and just when................

Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
PrepN4Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvet View Post
I know this is a serious thread and I do not intend to insult anyone, but I just couldn't help but get a chuckle out of the title "Alternative Antibiotic For Chickens".
Ha! No insult taken, oldvet. Seriously, I sat here awhile wondering how to name this subject.

Well, sounds like no one is much gung-ho on oregano (hey, that rhymes!), so I guess I won't look into it any further. Thanks much for all your replies!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
cnsper

Liked 1189 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 372

cnsper is on a distinguished road

In all my years of raising chickens, I have never given them anything but feed and water. Look what has happened to the effectiveness of penicillin over the years. Just giving them stuff because will cause your flock to develop a resistance to the cure.

Personally, I have never had to treat a chicken for anything but cranial detachment.

**When government expands, liberty contracts - Ronald Regan
**If ignorance were gun powder, you would be a weapon of mass destruction.
**Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

cree77 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
LincTex
Jack of all trades?
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4524 Times on 2469 Posts
Likes Given: 10817

LincTex is on a distinguished road

I google searched: "Alternative to antibiotics for chickens" and came up with some good links. I copied and pasted all into a word document and came up with 30 pgs worth.

Quick Reply