Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Gardening and Agriculture > Spring Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4062 Times on 1934 Posts
Likes Given: 1882

Davarm is on a distinguished road
Default Spring Garden

Ive been getting ready to get my garden growing for the year and because of the mild winter this year I have a lot of broccoli and collards that are thriving now. I went out today and cut a full garden cart of broccoli tops, I still have to trim them but it looks like I will get quite a bit after the clean up. The parts that are tender but not really suited to store will be boiled and made into a broth and canned - good for cream of broccoli soup. I am going to start tending it again in the hopes of getting a good spring crop from last years plants.

The collards are thriving, leaves almost as long as your arm. I am going to dehydrate and powder them and store them in 1/2 gallon jars. Good for soups and sauces.

My volunteer romaine lettuce is starting to head and is mild and sweet, had a salad yesterday. The chard is back up about ankle high and is pretty good(mild and sweet) and had it in the salad too. I left the bed intact for the winter with the intent to let it go to seed this year and store them for next year. Same story with my beet bed, will see if the variety that I have been growing will seed true.

Am going to plant potatoes, spinach, beets and dill this weekend and get my cabbage, tomatoes, "Ghost Peppers", jalapenos and serano peppers started in planters. I have enough fennel that survived the winter to transplant into a good bed without planting any new seeds.

With the rain that we have been getting, I think I just may have a good spring garden this year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4350 Times on 1746 Posts
Likes Given: 2316

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Yeah...well... I've got 2 months yet till I can think of food production.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
Yeah...well... I've got 2 months yet till I can think of food production.
In two months here it may be up to 90 or 100 if it is anything like last year. Last year where I am at in Texas, we had almost a week of near 0 degree weather and snow the middle of Feb(very unusual) and 3 days later it was up to 80 degrees and only go hotter until about the middle of October.

We had 3 months of 110 degree + weather in the summer. The spring winds and thunderstorms have already arrived here(had a tornado watch a few hours ago) so I think the garden season has arrived.

Im going to get an early start on it this year and if it freezes anything out I will just replant. I want to get my spring stuff going and producing before it gets hot and kills it all out this year.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Well, I scratched the planting this weekend, the weather went from almost 80 degrees to down in the high 30's -low 40's. I do think that the garden season has started here, but, I like to "enjoy" my work in the dirt.

I don't much like the cold so I will wait another day or two and I'm sure that the temperature will be back up in my "comfort zone".

Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davarm View Post

The collards are thriving, leaves almost as long as your arm. I am going to dehydrate and powder them and store them in 1/2 gallon jars. Good for soups and sauces.
I picked a couple bags of the greens, cut the large center vein out, chopped them and dehydrated them, took about 3 hours on low heat. They were deep dark green and had a fair amount of substance to them so just out of curiosity I popped some into my mouth to check the flavor and I was quite surprised.

If they had been salted, they would be do-able as a munchy snack straight off the tray. I decided to cook them up and see how they would be, Put the dried chopped leaves in a large bowl and poured boiling water on them and set them set for about 15 minutes. I put a few pats of butter and some salt on them and was amazed how good they were - a definite keeper.

I have a 60 foot row of big, healthy bushy plants with leaves almost as long as your arm and about 10 inches wide. They are mild and sweet with no bitterness at all. Am going to pick them all and dehydrate them and pack them into 5 gallon buckets to prepare like fresh chopped greens.

I guess I dont need to plant collards this year, after get all the greens I want I am going to let them go to seed and see what grows. I dont remember if the original seed were hybrid or heirloom but I guess I will find out next year.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3268 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 3434

*Andi is on a distinguished road

I'll start my cool weather crops around the mid to the end of the month ... I need to get started on my new herb beds. I'll be starting 10 new herbs this year.

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4350 Times on 1746 Posts
Likes Given: 2316

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

St. Patty's Day for our cool weather stuff.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
timmie
timmie

Liked 161 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 592

timmie is on a distinguished road

dh got the tractor in our garden spot[i just love the sight and smell of fresh turned earth] will be getting our taters in the ground in a day or so. also am getting tomato and pepper seeds started today.also will get onions and garlic planted. most everthing else can be planted directly in the ground.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
lilmissy0740

Liked 283 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 144

lilmissy0740 is on a distinguished road

Davarm, what kinds of greens did you dehydrate? I have made kale chips beofre in the oven, never thought of dehy. them.

I am putting a fence around my garden and hopefully keep some critters out. Making the garden that is close to the house bigger. The garden that is at the end of the yard, well lets say my weed eater and sometimes mower helps me weed! So I am hoping I will tend to it more if it is closer.
If the weather keeps it up here and I get my fence done this week, I am going to plant kale and such outside. I am still picking beets to juice each day. The weather is crazy.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
AlabamaGal
Moderately Doomish

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AlabamaGal is on a distinguished road

I was a weird fall for us. Fall crops that overwinter didn't get a chance to put on enough growth before "winter" arrived (such as it has been), but we've had enough warm days that my broccoli went straight from "look it's starting to head!" to bolting. The cabbage is getting big, though, and the spinach is finally growing up. I still have carrots and kale in the garden but the few remaining turnips I didn't eat at baby size didn't make it through our coldest spell and neither did the mustard or the peas.

So now spring is pretty much here. I've been watching the soil temp and it says I should have planted the earliest spring crops weeks ago, but I've been chicken. The birds and such certainly have declared spring has arrived. President's Day is only two weeks away so I think I'll get a few things in the ground and hope they don't rot in the non-stop rain. I was just reviewing my maps for this years' rotation and deciding on a planting schedule.

lilmissy, I think you will be happy with the fence. I suggest getting saome 36" chicken wire and making an "L" down the fence and going outward for half the width. It confuses most diggers that aren't too bright, like rabbits. Rats are not fooled, but they can climb over anyway and don't cause nearly the same damage.

I tried dehydrated kale chips. Major ick for me, even the ones with hot sauce or vinegar. But if you really, really like kale you will love them. They taste like kale x10.

Timmie -- after years of transplanting most everything, I experimented last year with direct seeding everything and the tomatoes and peppers did the best by far, except the few that got munched by early hornworms. Curiously, the directed seeded bell peppers slept all summer and then went crazy productive in the late summer and fall. Can I ask why you start those and not other things? We're close enough that your experience might be relevant to my garden, too.

Tags
garden, gardening, spring garden

Quick Reply