Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Gardening and Agriculture > Scary thing we will have to do !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Pete3512
Prepared one

Pete3512 is on a distinguished road
Default Scary thing we will have to do !

Are you prepared to do things that you never though you could do ? You better mentally prepare your self above all things you prep for you better prepare your mind !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3981 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

Davarm is on a distinguished road

"I" have gone through some pretty bizarre scenarios in my mind, if I find myself in anything worse than some of those, the world will be a pretty messed up place even by my standards.

But really, on a serious note, what type of things are you thinking of.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Clarice

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts

Clarice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete3512 View Post
Are you prepared to do things that you never though you could do ? You better mentally prepare your self above all things you prep for you better prepare your mind !
I'm not sure what you mean by your question. You can imagine all types of horrible things and scare yourself silly. As long as you are mentally prepared to just get thru each day to the best of your ability and have skills, knowledge and determination you will come out on top most of the time. We are so use to our conviences the hard work needed to live in a world turned upside down will be enough to scare some into inaction. Preparing meals from scratch without a microwave or electric stove or electric can opener, washing really dirty clothes by hand and hanging them out to dry, planting and harvesting a garden with out the luxury of gas powered equipment the thought of these things would turn most of our citizens into useless cry babies, I'm sad to say.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2693 Times on 1425 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete3512 View Post

Ummm .... dig root-vegitables from the ground or pick tomatoes? I don't know what kind of horrors come from that, can you explain more as to this?

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
TheAnt
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Liked 451 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 526

TheAnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post

Ummm .... dig root-vegitables from the ground or pick tomatoes? I don't know what kind of horrors come from that, can you explain more as to this?
Perhaps he is a vegetarian and is contemplating what he might have to do in SHTF if his garden doesnt produce??? Perhaps he will have to eat Fido?

God helps those who are helpless: “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” – Romans 5:6.

God help us.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3981 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

Davarm is on a distinguished road

Hey Ant, I got no problem eaten Fido, we would just call it an Irish wake for a close friend. I'll just draw the line at skunk or possum n sweet taters.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
TheAnt
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Liked 451 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 526

TheAnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davarm View Post
Hey Ant, I got no problem eaten Fido, we would just call it an Irish wake for a close friend. I'll just draw the line at skunk or possum n sweet taters.
Hehe, my Dad says when we were growing up that everyone at the church pot luck wanted to know what our family brought. Some wanted to know so they could try some kind of strange meat... others wanted to know so they could steer clear of it.

I think my Dad was born in the wrong century and probably should have been a lone trapper in the wild country...

God helps those who are helpless: “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” – Romans 5:6.

God help us.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 832 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davarm View Post
I can say for a fact that there will definitely be NO other source of meat left (sooner than anyone thinks IMHO) before I'd eat my dogs... the CAT on the other hand... ... jk

10 horrible things that can happen when
1. eat a pet? yes, but as a last resort
2. kill someone? yes, in self defense, as quickly as possible
3. steal from others? yes, eventually I might have to
4. abandon a friend/family member? I really don't know, by the time I decided to, it would probably be too late to make a difference one way or the other
5. eat something gross, like bugs or garbage? Hell, I already DO!
6. betray friends/family to save own ass? no, probably not
7. share food with strangers? ok, not horrible in & of itself, but the ramifications could be, but yes, some of the 'this-is-all-I-have stash' (which consists of expired canned goods)
8. defend friends/family to the death? if I have to... but I'm a TRUE patriot, I don't die for my cause, I make the other sonovabitch die for HIS!
9. self-amputate? I'm of the opinion that would only prolong my demise, but
10. commit suicide? no, I think it's selfish, and I'm too stubborn

wow, that was harder than I thought...

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1225 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1589

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

Well, for people who have never killed or even cut up an animal, it will be pretty scary. We lived in a city 20 years ago and there were women in my neighborhood that had never cut up even a supermarket chicken.

Eating food you grew yourself is scary for some people. In that same city (Salt Lake City) we lived in 20 years ago there were fruit trees all over the city, thanks to the pioneers who settled the valley. Every year bushels and bushels of fruit fell to the ground. I'd go around the neighborhood asking if I could at least have the windfalls on the ground. Nearly everyone told me to take all the fruit I wanted off the whole trees. Why? They were scared to eat it because it wasn't government inspected or regulated and might not be safe to eat.

And that was 20 years ago. I imagine it's worse now. How many germ-a-phobe people are going to dig in the dirt? There are people who will lose it completely when their standards of personal hygiene have to be lowered. Do you think they'll fare well with things in the course of obtaining food, either plant or animal?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 832 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
Well, for people who have never killed or even cut up an animal, it will be pretty scary. We lived in a city 20 years ago and there were women in my neighborhood that had never cut up even a supermarket chicken.

Eating food you grew yourself is scary for some people. In that same city (Salt Lake City) we lived in 20 years ago there were fruit trees all over the city, thanks to the pioneers who settled the valley. Every year bushels and bushels of fruit fell to the ground. I'd go around the neighborhood asking if I could at least have the windfalls on the ground. Nearly everyone told me to take all the fruit I wanted off the whole trees. Why? They were scared to eat it because it wasn't government inspected or regulated and might not be safe to eat.

And that was 20 years ago. I imagine it's worse now. How many germ-a-phobe people are going to dig in the dirt? There are people who will lose it completely when their standards of personal hygiene have to be lowered. Do you think they'll fare well with things in the course of obtaining food, either plant or animal?
Didn't they spray malathion and other nastiness in a LOT of places 20 years ago, and wasn't it (intentionally) highly publicized (to cause fear/control the sheeple)? Even so, washing fruit with baking soda and water will remove malathion.

that was a serious question, not a critique

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Quick Reply