Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Gardening and Agriculture > Pinto beans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
derek78

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

derek78 is on a distinguished road
Default Pinto beans?

Im thinking of trying beans this year. Id like something i can make to refried beans. I heard pinto are the best but i dont see pinto in catalogs. Which beans are pinto? Are they pole or bush beans? Can these also be eaten as green beans and or dry stored? Thanks everyone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
JustCliff
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 172

JustCliff is on a distinguished road

I plant Pinto's from the bags I buy at the grocery store. They come up well but are not treated. I guess you could relate them to a bush type bean. 2' tall would be a heavy plant. (Don't add a bunch of nitrogen. You will get too much leaf growth) I have never heard of anyone trying to eat the unmature beans. They store great when fully mature and dry.
Give yourself a good 3 frost free months for growing them.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Emerald
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 172 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Emerald is on a distinguished road

My Uncles were both farmers and often grew pinto beans or the white northern beans and we often picked them as green beans for supper.. the only thing to remember is that they were not meant to be harvested as green beans and were often stringy and had to be "strung" when you snapped them.. which means you just had to pull the strings off each side when snapping them. Most commercial beans that you buy by the bag are going to be bush so that they can be mechanically harvested.
Now I grow a pole bean that is great for green beans and for shelly beans( the immature dry bean) and for dry beans they look just like pintos.. it is the Rattlesnake pole bean. And Burppee is now selling it by the packets in the big box stores in their "heirloom" selections. since it is an heirloom/open pollinated you can keep seed for it from year to year.
I grow it on welded wire fencing that is 6 foot tall and it goes up and over every year. the best thing is that you can pick the beans for green beans till about the end of August here (MI) and then let the plants go and they make the dry beans too. but I do grow them out in relays, I plant one bunch as early as possible about 25 feet worth and then about 2 weeks later I plant another 25 feet.. about the time to let the first batch go to seed the second batch is ready for picking green beans.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
derek78

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Good info. That was going to be my next question, if i could plant dried bagged beans from the store. Im also in michigan (southeast). Is there a difference on the amount of beans ill get from bush or pole? Ill probably be planting only about 5-10 plants after i decide which way to go. Have u ever made refried beans from the rattlesnake variety? I might just try both types.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek78 View Post
Good info. That was going to be my next question, if i could plant dried bagged beans from the store. Im also in michigan (southeast). Is there a difference on the amount of beans ill get from bush or pole? Ill probably be planting only about 5-10 plants after i decide which way to go. Have u ever made refried beans from the rattlesnake variety? I might just try both types.
I get as many dried beans from my pole beans as I do from bush but at least with pole beans I get tons of green beans for the freezer and for standing there chowing down in the garden. I don't bother with bush beans any longer.. but if you are only growing them for dried beans bushes are not too bad as you can just pull the whole plant when dry and thrash them that way. pole beans have to be pretty much hand picked when dry. but I just pick them and put them in a bag and then while sitting and watching tv at night I shuck them.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
goatlady

Liked 60 Times on 37 Posts

goatlady is on a distinguished road

Many of the smaller seed companies carry all kinds of drying beans, Vermont Bean and Seed company has many, many varieties. But remember they need most usually a loong growing season to include drying on the bush, like many need 100+ days and no rain at the end when they are trying to dry on the plant. About the only "treatment" beans can have are an inoculant which helps them sprout faster and use nitrogen better, has no effect on the final bean product, just makes faster sprouting after planting to avoid seed mold/rot if the ground is too wet/cold.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
frisian

Likes Given: 13

frisian is on a distinguished road

Can the grocery store beans be planted right from the bag or is there some sort of preparation to do before planting them??

Also do you plant them in mounds or sow them in a row? Thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisian View Post
Can the grocery store beans be planted right from the bag or is there some sort of preparation to do before planting them??

Also do you plant them in mounds or sow them in a row? Thanks
I have been known to soak them in lukewarm water for about 15 to 20 minutes and then drain and add inoculant if you have never grown them before. it does make a big difference.. once I use it tho it does tend to live in the soil so I don't add it again unless I make a new bed.
and depending on how you garden most folks put them in rows or blocks. I detest long skinny rows so I tend plant in rows but short and blocky.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
derek78

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You said the inoculant tends to live in there, does that affect other nearby plants?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek78 View Post
You said the inoculant tends to live in there, does that affect other nearby plants?
nothing unless you have peas and peas like the inoculate. it is a live micro organism that lives in the soil and helps legumes take nitrogen from the soil onto their roots.(or something like that) you want your soils to be alive..
round up is a nightmare to real live soils.. it is a gene disruptor and do you really want that anywhere near you? or your food sources? ick.
I get all kinds of mushrooms growing in my yard and garden.. nice live soil..
The more organic stuff (like leaf mold and compost) you can get in your soil the better it will retain water and the minerals and other goodies will not wash out as quickly.

Quick Reply