Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Gardening and Agriculture > How long does it take leaves to compost?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
KensWife

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

KensWife is on a distinguished road
Default How long does it take leaves to compost?

I have been horrible at gathering my fall leaves for the compost pile. I will be doing that this weekend. I know it can take between 3 months to a year to compost leaves... does anyone have a trick to speed this process up?

Last edited by KensWife; 01-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Canadian
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 125 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Leaves on their own are pretty tough and take a while to break down. Throw other stuff in that you know will rot. Add in a bit of dirt too. Stir the pile every now and then to prevent fires and help break up the stuff as it breaks down. That's about it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
TechAdmin
Administrator
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 228 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 124

TechAdmin has disabled reputation

Did you add worms to your compost pile?

Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 823 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 1793

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

you could get a composter & tumble it every other day or so...

adding shredded newspaper & urea(?) to the mixture speeds it along in larger manure composting applications

physically shredding the leaves (lawnmower, chipper/shredder) will help too

Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Magus
Scavenger deluxe

Liked 2890 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 2104

Magus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensWife View Post
I have been horrible at gathering my fall leaves for the compost pile. I will be doing that this weekend. I know it can take between 3 months to a year to compost leaves... does anyone have a trick to speed this process up?
Urine,stale cornmeal or a gallon of sugar water sprayed onto them speeds the process up very nicely!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
ke4sky
ke4sky

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts

ke4sky is on a distinguished road
Default Reduce composting time by following these tips

Some useful links:
Green Community Project: Making Fast Compost with Leaves
Mass DEP :: MA DEP Consumer Recycling Information
Reduce Curbside Waste Start Composting - Huddler's Green Home Community
Reduce, Reuse and Recyle - Composting for the Homeowner
DEP: Sheet Leaf Composting
The Nature Conservancy - Composting

Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
beericus

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

beericus is on a distinguished road

^^ thanks for those links, i just started with my leaves. dont really knowhat im doing though

Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 2432 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2957

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

Composting is easy. Nature will do it for you if you just pile them up and leave them. However if you're in a hurry you'll need to incorprate some of the ideas mentioned. I always just mulched mine (pulled the lawnmower backwards over them) them pile them mixing dirt in with them as the pile grew. The dirt has the little critters in it that will hasten the decomposition. Turning them occassionally helps too but don't do it too often. It helps to have them slightly damp too. about a week or so after you've started your pile stick a steel pipe, rebar, or whatever into the center of the pile and leave it for a few minutes then pull it back out. If the center of the pile is hot it will heat up the metal. If it's getting hot in the middle it's working!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

http://livinglifeoffgrid.blogspot.com/
http://povertyprepping.blogspot.com/

LincTex Likes This 
Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Murph

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Murph is on a distinguished road
Default Stop at the local coffee shop and ask for their grounds

These are a great source of Nitrogen (green) to offset the Carbon (brown) in the leaves. I use about 20 pounds of grounds a week to keep my contained pile hot throughout the winter (mostly). During planting season, the grounds get added to compost/worm casting tea as they are a great bug inhibitor and quick source of N during the initial leaf out.

The key for me is to keep enough leaves through winter to mix with the overabundance of grass/hedge clippings/tree trimmings/garden waste (all greens) during spring, summer and again in early fall. With a little luck and dilligence, I have kept a 3-5 yard pile of compost above 150F in the center for over 6 weeks. After the 6 weeks, it cools for a month and goes on the garden for fall planting as a nice crumbly material. I used to sift the pile, but the larger pieces break down in less than a year in the main garden anyway. Saves me about 30% more time.

If only making leaf mold (leaf-only compost), make sure to stir the pile up on a regular basis. Leaves have a natural tendency to repel water after a few inches of depth. My first attempt at leaf mold left me with a big pile of dry leaves in the center compressed by the weight of snow and ice. I had to use a spade to cut it up and the center looked exactly the way it did when I pile dit 6 months before. Also, the type of leaf can affect the time and quality. Oak leaves are thicker than the "average" leaf and will take longer. Black Walnut has a chemical that will inhibit growth in other plants (juglen?). I use primarily maple and they work fine.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
lotsoflead

Liked 191 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 75

lotsoflead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensWife View Post
plow them under or roto til them in this fall.

Tags
compost, leaves

Quick Reply