Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum

Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum (http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/)
-   Gardening and Agriculture (http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   Does diatomaceous earth kill bees and earthworms? (http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f14/does-diatomaceous-earth-kill-bees-earthworms-3621/)

horseman09 07-11-2010 02:07 PM

Does diatomaceous earth kill bees and earthworms?

Thanks to all of you folks who use DE, I bought a 24 pound bag and a duster. I went out this morning and dusted everything but the maters. No bugs that I can see on them, not even aphids. Lots of bugs on the broccoli and B sprouts. Hope the DE kills the little creeps.

Interesting thing, tho............we planted about 150 marigolds around 2 sides of the garden and they are absolutely infested with J beatles and another kind of smaller beatle-like bug. So much for marigolds keeping the bugs away. They seem more like a breeding ground for the darned things, so I dusted the marigolds too. When I saw bees on the flower blooms, it occurred to me that DE might well kill bees too. What about earthworms?

Anyone have any thoughts?

PS The duster is pretty slick. Does a good job and the nozzle turns upsidedown for underleaf coverage.

Emerald 07-11-2010 11:58 PM

All the studies that I have looked at says that it will not harm earth worms only hard shelled bugs. So you might still have to use Bt to kill any kind of caterpillars on your plants like cabbage loopers and tomato/tobacco hornworms.
I use DE and still have plenty of Earth Worms.. lol

gypsysue 07-12-2010 12:10 AM

From this website: Beekeeping Forums • View topic - Will Diatomaceous Earth harm bees?

Re: Will Diatomaceous Earth harm bees?
Post Number:#2 by Wally's Baby Beek Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 pm

DE will kill bees just like any other powder designed to kill insects. If the bees get in it, it will stick to them like pollen and be used in the hive with the pollen and kill the bees that are exposed to it.
Does she have to stop using DE? No, just be careful with it. Only use the DE when necessary and use a pesticide applicator. Don't use it on plants that are blooming unless she is willing to either cover the plants or keep the bees in.
It would be best if she could use a liquid instead of powder since you have more control over where it lands. But, I don't think that there is a liquid DE.
If she provides clean drinking water for the bees that is easy for them to get to, they won't drink the water off the dirt .
Here's some good organic pesticide recipes if she doesn't like to use chemicals:List of Homemade Organic Recipes
You can read about DE here:
http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/diatomaceous-earth.html"

horseman09 07-12-2010 12:43 AM

Thanks for the info, gals. I'll be more careful using DE from now on. I'll avoid using it on flowering plants.

UncleJoe 07-12-2010 02:20 AM

You could also use neem oil. I found the DE was not as effective as I had hoped on the potato beetles. I know the neem oil works well.

lanahi 07-31-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseman09 (Post 32952)
Thanks to all of you folks who use DE, I bought a 24 pound bag and a duster. I went out this morning and dusted everything but the maters. No bugs that I can see on them, not even aphids. Lots of bugs on the broccoli and B sprouts. Hope the DE kills the little creeps.

Interesting thing, tho............we planted about 150 marigolds around 2 sides of the garden and they are absolutely infested with J beatles and another kind of smaller beatle-like bug. So much for marigolds keeping the bugs away. They seem more like a breeding ground for the darned things, so I dusted the marigolds too. When I saw bees on the flower blooms, it occurred to me that DE might well kill bees too. What about earthworms?

Anyone have any thoughts?

PS The duster is pretty slick. Does a good job and the nozzle turns upsidedown for underleaf coverage.

This says it does not harm earthworms, but it is better not to mix it in with the soil.
Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits
It may not have harmed the bees either, but I would not allow it to touch blossoms again, to be safe.

horseman09 08-05-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJoe (Post 33005)
You could also use neem oil. I found the DE was not as effective as I had hoped on the potato beetles. I know the neem oil works well.

UncleJoe, I'm gonna look into neem oil. I've never heard of it until you mentioned it.

Thanks.

UncleJoe 08-05-2010 10:08 AM

Make sure you read about it. It doesn't work the same way as a chemical incesticide. You don't get instant kill. You'll still see activity for a week or two after you apply it. But have no fear; it is working. I bought a gallon of concentratethis past spring. That will make about 50 gallons of spray. Should probably last me the rest of my life.

horseman09 08-05-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJoe (Post 34563)
Make sure you read about it. It doesn't work the same way as a chemical incesticide. .

lol Thanks UncleJoe, for the info. I'll read up on it.

I was chuckling because of your typo: "a chemical incesticide". Does that mean it kills those who commit incest? :)

UncleJoe 08-06-2010 02:12 AM

:ooops: :booboo: I was in a hurry this morning and didn't read before I hit the submit button. :o