You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Livestock >

BEEs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #81
Caribou
Time Traveler
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 12707 Times on 3632 Posts
Likes Given: 19084

Caribou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmttactical View Post
Two questions, Why would the Bees blame the Queen and kill her? What are 'Swarm Cells" and what do they look like? I did subscribe to the Bee channel you recommended, "Don the fat bee man" very informative but a gazzilion videos posted. I can get my forum questions answered fast here. I will keep watching all his videos until he stops posting or I have watched all of them, may take a while.
The queen and all her worker bees are female. You're old enough to understand, there is no explanation that we could understand. If the hive gets too stressed sometimes they kill the queen, other times they might abscond.

A hive reproduces by swarming. When the hive gets ready to swarm they produce a number of queen cells, usually in the lower half of the frame. These we call swarm cells and they are one of the things you are looking for when you do an inspection. Shortly before the queen cells hatch the hive will swarm and you will lose 50% to 60% of your bees.

Queen cells are much larger and you will easily notice them. You will also need to recognize eggs, brood, capped brood, drone, and honey cells. To learn this you need to work with a beekeeper in their apiary or buy a book and look at the pictures. I highly recommend doing both.

I love talking bees but a book will give you answers to questions you haven't thought of. Also, people that write books know more than I. Books, here, other sites, hands on are complimentary, don't exclude any learning.

"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." General Omar Bradley
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply